All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Need Ceiling/Drywall in Attached Garage?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Need Ceiling/Drywall in Attached Garage? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We are in the process of having our old house demolished and a new one built under the provisions of a government disaster grant (Hurricane Ike, TX Gulf Coast). Everything's looking great so far with the new construction except I was surprised to learn that the attached garage which has been built will not get a ceiling or any type of interior drywall except on the wall it shares with the house. The garage does share attic space with the rest of the house which is equipped with gas water heater and furnace in the attic. Can someone with a bit more experience with these circumstances tell me if this is anything to be concerned about? My immediate concern would be the occasional raccoon or other varmint (which we've encountered before in this neighborhood) scurrying up into the attic while the garage door was opened and bringing some sort of flammable material into contact with various pilot lights. How much of a priority should I consider getting a ceiling and drywall/pegboard/plywood/other interior wall material installed in this space? Thanks very much.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        At least here the garage should have a fire-rated ceiling OR there would need to be a firewall between the house and the garage going all the way up to the roof deck. The roof deck at this point would need to be flame retardant plywood or OSB. It is far easier to install a drywall ceiling in the garage.

I would want the whole garage drywalled, it makes it look so much better especially if you take a couple of hours to paint it instead of leaving the drywall unpainted as many of my neighbors have done.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am not trying to be ignorant but, this is something you should be asking the builder.

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        As far as code requirements go, it's as Sparky says - There needs to be either a fire rated ceiling or a fire rated wall that not only divides the house from the garage but the full attic space as well.

Beyond that, it's a matter of what the builder is contracted to build and what you have paid for. I'm sure it will be no problem to add a ceiling to the garage, just expect to pay a little more for it.

As far as critter concerns go, hardly any worries there. While not impossible for something to get up there and chew a gas line or some electrical but it's not very likely. Even a sealed off attic space is susceptible to having varmints find there way inside.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks to all for the replies! I'm pretty sure the garage has the firewall next to the house...will ask the builder to make sure. This is one of those post disaster grant type houses where the contractor builds to a very specific and non-negotiable plan. We had a small amount of personal funds with which to improve the property after it's finished....I think that, with the info gotten here, we'll be prioritizing a new fence and a couple of other must-haves before addressing the garage ceiling/walls. Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
        If the garage attic is not separated from the house attic you don't have a complete firewall. This is also about keeping exhaust fumes out of the living space.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sb??

Sorry, not well versed in these abbreviations and Google is giving 40 or 50 possibilities...

posted Hide Post
        The firewall should go from floor to roof -- also, any doors installed are to be fire rated doors.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post