All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Consequences for Shoddy Work?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Consequences for Shoddy Work? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of ChuckNorris42
        posted
        I am a huge fan of DIY TV in general, but I especially like the shows where they fix the jobs that were screwed up by incompetent contractors. I really want to know: do any legal repercussions befall the crack-pot criminal that cheated the clients and at times put them at serious risk? This is more of a question for the administrator of the discussion board. When I watch shows like 'Rescue My Renovation' and 'Holmes on Homes', I worry that these clowns are still out there to continue their illegal, shifty, and dangerous practices that will eventually end up in an unfortunate end for some unlucky family.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Probably nothing is done - certainly not by the TV show. Any shoddy workmanship issues can only be legally handled by the homeowner and contractor. You'll notice that no names are named as this would lead to some big lawsuits of the 'bad' contractor suing the TV production.

And keep in mind that this is a TV show, not reality. Not saying that there aren't some problems caused by poor construction but most of the situations are "enhanced" to look good on TV.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Chuck, the Administrator(s) of this Forum rarely post except to make announcements of new contests, etc. And legally they have no legal "standing" (legal term generally referring to justification for a cause of action) to become involved in any action against contractors.

As Jaybee states, these are tv shows, with dual purposes of remediation of contractor caused deficiencies and upgrade of existing facilities (bonus for the homeowners), with the remediation solving the problems alleged created by the bad contractors.

Something I've always wondered as I watch these shows is why the homeowners continued to pay the contractors when it was obvious they weren't performing, or weren't doing the work properly.

There are always two sides. I know there are bad contractors (I've encountered one myself) but there are also homeowners who don't educate and protect themselves and take action before the situations get out of hand.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post