DIY Message Boards
Consequences for Shoddy Work?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5193960308

May 16, 2014, 04:42 AM
ChuckNorris42
Consequences for Shoddy Work?
I am a huge fan of DIY TV in general, but I especially like the shows where they fix the jobs that were screwed up by incompetent contractors. I really want to know: do any legal repercussions befall the crack-pot criminal that cheated the clients and at times put them at serious risk? This is more of a question for the administrator of the discussion board. When I watch shows like 'Rescue My Renovation' and 'Holmes on Homes', I worry that these clowns are still out there to continue their illegal, shifty, and dangerous practices that will eventually end up in an unfortunate end for some unlucky family.
May 16, 2014, 09:08 AM
Jaybee
Probably nothing is done - certainly not by the TV show. Any shoddy workmanship issues can only be legally handled by the homeowner and contractor. You'll notice that no names are named as this would lead to some big lawsuits of the 'bad' contractor suing the TV production.

And keep in mind that this is a TV show, not reality. Not saying that there aren't some problems caused by poor construction but most of the situations are "enhanced" to look good on TV.

Jaybee
May 16, 2014, 11:02 AM
GardenSprite
Chuck, the Administrator(s) of this Forum rarely post except to make announcements of new contests, etc. And legally they have no legal "standing" (legal term generally referring to justification for a cause of action) to become involved in any action against contractors.

As Jaybee states, these are tv shows, with dual purposes of remediation of contractor caused deficiencies and upgrade of existing facilities (bonus for the homeowners), with the remediation solving the problems alleged created by the bad contractors.

Something I've always wondered as I watch these shows is why the homeowners continued to pay the contractors when it was obvious they weren't performing, or weren't doing the work properly.

There are always two sides. I know there are bad contractors (I've encountered one myself) but there are also homeowners who don't educate and protect themselves and take action before the situations get out of hand.