All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Water heater.... what next
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Water heater.... what next Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello all-

As a new home owner I'm sure I'll be here a lot, let me first say I'm sorry about my ignorance on most things home improvement.

My water heater stopped working the other day, he would re-light but would not say burning after it got to temp, I replaced the thermal coupler, expecting that to be the issue. However Now the pilot light stays going until it kicks in to heat up the water, once the water gets to temp to goes out again.

Any ideas? Could I have installed the coupler wrong? What do I look for?

Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's possible that you just have the thermocouple positioned incorrectly. It needs to be installed so that the hot part of the pilot light flame keeps the thermocouple end up to temperature. If the thermocouple does not stay hot via the pilot light flame, it will give exactly the symptoms you describe - so I would check that first.

Jaybee

Posts: 10139 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well I took the TC back out, after replacing it I thought I would leave the pilot light running for a while before turning it to "on"

This seemed to work as I was able to have a nice HOT shower this morning.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        bravo!!!! Smile Smile Smile
        you found problem,,thought it out
        repaired it. then adjusted/fine tuned it to work
        you are now a DIYer next project will be......?

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post