DIY Message Boards
Fascia removal not going well. Need more advice.

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5153967177

Jun 30, 2013, 10:10 PM
SturdyNail
Fascia removal not going well. Need more advice.
I was warned about roofing nails sinking into the fascia, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

There are a lot of roofing nails into the fascia and where I was able to remove most of a small section, the entire drip edge is exposed as shown in this picture:
Removing fascia is rough on drip edge.

Also, there are lots of "Sturdy Nails" attaching the fascia into the rafter. When I try to coax the fascia away from the rafter, it lifts and tilts the drip edge.
In the small section where I removed the fascia, I attempted to cut off one of the now exposed roofing nails hanging down. I tried using my Dremel Mult-Max with the metal cutting blade, but it sent nail and drip edge into wild vibration. I only succeed in enlarging the hole where the nail penetrated the drip edge.

It seems that the task of replacing fascia would come up pretty regularly in remodeling jobs. How can I get this part of the job done without destroying the drip edge and the shingles that were nailed through the drip edge?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.
Jul 01, 2013, 03:14 AM
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by SturdyNail:
How can I get this part of the job done without destroying the drip edge and the shingles that were nailed through the drip edge?

And the answer is, "Sometimes you can't"

As long as the facia is nailed from two directions, it is going to be difficult to remove. If you think about it, the order of construction is what is killing you. The facia was installed first, then the drip edge and then the shingles. This works OK for the more common replacement of shingles and drip edge, not so good if all you need to replace is the facia.

The only 'easy' way to replace the facia is to do this repair at the same time as a shingle & drip edge replacement. This way you can remove the shingles, then remove the drip edge and then pry the facia away from the framing or sub-facia.

I know, I know, you don't need to replace the roof.

The next approach then will be to see if you can first remove the drip edge. If it's going to get all beat up anyway, you may as well get it out of there so it can be replaced with a new one. You should be able to pry it free without damaging the shingles - provided the shingles are still in good condition. Once the drip edge is gone than you are back to only having nails through the facia that are in one direction. Then it's a matter of prying the facia out and/or cutting those nails with a sawzall.

Your project is a classic example of why remodeling costs so much. If you hired this out to a pro you would not be pleased if the completed project had a nice, new facia topped with a beat-up drip edge. So the pro has to cost the job to replace the drip edge as well. Then, if your shingles are of an age that they are starting to get a little brittle, you are looking at an entire roof replacement to get that facia replaced correctly.

The reality of why you are having so much trouble getting this done is that it's an extremely difficult project.

Jaybee
Jul 01, 2013, 08:59 AM
SturdyNail
Jaybee, Thanks for your reply. What you said about removing the drip edge makes sense. Even if I was successful in removing the fascia without removing the drip edge, there would be dozens of holes in the drip edge, so I should replace it. I just hope I can do it without damaging the shingles.