DIY Message Boards
Safety Issues: medical alert systems

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/5023910277

Jul 07, 2013, 07:38 PM
GardenSprite
Safety Issues: medical alert systems
This is a little bit off-topic, but it does address security, so I think it falls generally within the range of discussions here.

Does anyone have any experience, recommendations and/or caution for medical alert devices? So far my research shows that they’re all “the best on the market”, but that some are exorbitantly expensive with high installation costs, and that there are different ranges and support with the different devices and providers. There are pendants, watch type wrist bands, and small “monitors.”

I’m also especially interested in experiences with the providers, which include ambulance systems, hospital systems, and for profit companies. My inclination is to go with a hospital system and/or an ambulance system, but I’m not sure they would be as effective in covering nonmedical emergencies, which is also a consideration.

My criteria so far are that the device needs to be:

1. Waterproof
2. Have a range of +/- 75 feet outside of the house, and
3. Not interfere with a pacemaker.

Any positive or negative experiences as well as suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jul 15, 2013, 07:07 AM
handylock
The most popular medical alert systems available today are the ones that will connect you to a 24-hour emergency monitoring service when you need help. These units come with waterproof "SOS" buttons. One of the most widely used is the Philips Lifeline Medical Alert Service.