DIY Message Boards
fixing broken 1" PVC pipe with wires

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/4953933967

Mar 31, 2013, 12:34 PM
tstex
fixing broken 1" PVC pipe with wires
Hello to all, and Happy Easter.

The lawn guys hit the 1" PVC pipe that is next to the house that contains all of the wires for the Rain-Bird. The wires leave the control box, then go outside via garage wall, through this PVC pipe into the ground to the station control units.

Obviously, I cannot sever the wires and the PVC is broken from the ground-up to about 3-4". The ID is 1" and the pipe itself is about 16" from the grd until it 90's into the garage stucco wall.

What I am trying to find is something the can fix the PVC pipe from about 3-4" into the ground and then to the 90 into the house. I need something that can go around the pipe and up to the 90 degree turn, so I am looking at about 20" of something. It is not in a high-view area, so looks are not imperative, but I do want it to look odd.

Thank you for your help and suggestions and wishing you and your family a Happy Easter.

tstex
Mar 31, 2013, 12:54 PM
redoverfarm
Something like this http://conduitrepairkit.com/. There are several other options of Conduit repair @ google
Mar 31, 2013, 01:27 PM
GardenSprite
TsTex, do you think the lawn service would accept liability of its workers and fix the pipe for you? If it's a commercial service and not a local kid, I assume they would have liability insurance.

And Happy Easter to you too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Mar 31, 2013, 01:41 PM
Jaybee
I think that Garden Sprites approach is the best first step here. Any established lawn cutting firm should take responsibility for the repair.

Beyond that, it' actually fairly simple to repair it back so that it looks exactly like it did before without cutting any of the internal wires:

Remake the entire broken area out of the same type of PVC parts that originally made it up. The only difference is that you will need to cut each PVC piece in two pieces lengthwise to install. Since PVC can be chemically welded, the fix will be just as strong and waterproof as the original. Set up the PVC pieces like you were making up the section for the first time, take it back apart and cut each individual piece in half. Then, put each pair of pieces around the wires and form them back into one piece by using PVC solvent. As each piece is back together, slip it into the previous piece and solvent weld the connection.

Jaybee
Apr 01, 2013, 08:56 AM
CommonwealthSparky
I agree with others as to a possible liability issue if the damage was a result of work performed by a contractor. Also remember PVC solvents may have an unwanted reaction with the wiring in the damaged section to be replaced. Good luck.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Apr 01, 2013, 09:12 AM
tstex
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I agree that the lawn service should pay so I am going to contact them.

Since the break is below the ground level and we have sprinklers on this side of the house, I need to make sure that any water/moisture is sucked/shop-vac'ed out of the PVC be sealing it up with water and wires doesn't seem to safe over time. I guess I would pre-drill some hole underneath the 90'ed pipe so any moisture could escape - the holes in this position would not allow water to penetrate.

I will keep you posted, thank you - tstex
Apr 01, 2013, 09:25 AM
redoverfarm
Since the break is close to the house what would prevent you from unhooking the wires, remove the damaged portion, replace with new pipe, and hook the wires back again. The wires can be pulled through the new section before they are glued together.