All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Non-combustible chase sheathing???
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Non-combustible chase sheathing??? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm putting in a wood stove and the chimney will run up the side of my house on the exterior. I'm going to build a chase around it and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a non combustible sheathing to cover the chase with? The siding will be finished with stucco.

I'm contemplating using steel studs and maybe GP Durock Next Gen board and then covering it with stucco. Would this work of should I just stick with 2x4 DF studs and OSB ply wood. The chase will be 18"x 30" with 3.5" of clearance front and back from studs and 11" on the sides.

Thanks

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Put a little money into installing a lined flue and then you'll have no worries. Even with just a single walled flue your chase size is large enough so that even combustible material like wood studs and OSB sheathing will be OK.

Other options will be to use Hardibacker as your sheathing ans base for stucco, install a fire resistant drywall on the interior of the chase or a combination of all of those.

Bottom line though is that if you correctly install a regular flue your chase is large enough so that you can make it out of almost anything. Anything beyond that is just there for giving you peace of mind.

Jaybee

Posts: 10342 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        My class A factory made chimney pipe is double wall Duravent Duratech 6". It has 2" clearances for combustibles.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, there you go.

Jaybee

Posts: 10342 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post