All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Wood Floor Moisture Barrier
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wood Floor Moisture Barrier Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,

Is there wood moisture barrier that someone can recommend? I've been looking at the hardware stores for weeks and I see various kinds for moisture protection. I asked the employees there, and they didn't provide much assistance as I they just said that's what they have in stock and didn't really suggest which was best to get.

The wood is being laid on top of concrete slab, and I'm concerned with moisture that may come into contact with the wood. I've seen some barriers that offer sound and moisture protection, but I'm not too concerned with sound, just concerned about moisture.

I see one that this particular barrier gets good reviews which is the Roberts AirGuard 100 sq. ft. Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rob...#product_description

I wanted to get others opinions and experience with hardwood floor moisture barriers.

Can anyone please recommend a good hardwood floor moisture barrier? Thank you.

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dave82,

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        What product exactly are you installing?

If you are installing a VB then that means a floating floor. Most floating floors use a thin pad underneath - one style for wood subfloors and a different grade to act as a pad and vapor barrier if installing on top of a slab.

Even at that, it needs to be an engineered floor. If you are planning on installing some form of solid wood then you would be best to rethink that idea as it will not perform well on top of concrete.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for the response.

I have a wood threshold hold that will go between two different sections of a room (image attached). I have already sealed the concrete with a concrete sealer. Now I am looking for a barrier to protect it from moisture being collected between the wood threshold and the cement. Therefore the barrier will go in this section.

I previously had a threshold in this area without sealing the area with a concrete sealer and without a barrier, and in that area under the threshold it started to collect moisture and the wood began bending. When I lifted up the threshold, I saw moisture was collected onto the wood where it had started to bend.

I have a new threshold and before laying it down I want to prevent moisture from being collected. I had a plumber come by and he tested for leaks and no leaks were found. As of now the area is left open and there is no moisture there.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dave82,

open_threshold

posted Hide Post
        This image shows the threshold that I will place over this area, and I would like to place the moisture barrier between the concrete and the threshold.

threshold

posted Hide Post
        uh, silicone?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5728 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Are you suggesting that I use silicone instead of a moisture barrier?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Ahhhh. My bad, thought it was the entire floor.

You have really done all you can by sealing it. The thing is, you have to attach the threshold. The threshold cannot attach to the flooring (too thin plus the floor needs to be able to float and expand under the threshold overhang. So your only option is to glue the threshold down or use masonry screws and wood plugs. Use of either negates the use of any type of plastic or fabric vapor barrier (glue will not stick and screws will punch holes in the barrier.

I would go with the sealer you have used and seal the backside of the threshold. Then glue it down.

Jaybee

Posts: 10303 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Jaybee.