All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Please help! Leveling base kitchen cabinets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Please help! Leveling base kitchen cabinets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Trying to level kitchen cabinets on an unlevel floor. I have 1x2's, or could also get shims to do this. What is the best way and how? I would think by just using the 1x2's and placing them under the cabinets, it would still be unlevel, so what am I missing? Leveling the 1x2's? Confused! Tried contacting a carpenter, but he hasn't called back yet and we need to get the countertop istalled. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You need to determine just how unlevel your floor is. Then you add shims to make up that difference. If you do not have a laser level you can do it with a 4' level. Determine the run of your cabinets meaning from end to end. That is the area that need to be level. If you have a straight 8' 2X4 lay it on the floor then place the 4' level on top. Raise what you think is the low end until the level indicates level. Measure that gap and that should be the thickness shim to use (more or less) You need some bevel cut shims to just fine tune. A piece of shoe molding or base should hide that elevation difference and the shims.

By placing the cabinets on 1X2 the only thing you are doing is raising the height of the cabinets. That is unless you are using small portions for the shims. Most floors unless it is an older home usually don't call for that much of a shim.

Some even attach the cabinets to themselves and then raise them in unison adding the shim thickness called for as you go down the line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1772 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Find the high point first - the cabinet that sits here will fit directly on the floor. All other cabinets will be shimmed as needed. Set a level line off of the top of that first cabinet - this will be the top of every other cabinet in the kitchen.

If you don't have a laser level - a good excuse to buy one. Get one that is self leveling.

Jaybee

Posts: 10434 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Definitely start at the high point of the floor. I've seen cabinet installers run into problems because they did not start there. Of course those were the same installers that took them 9 months to complete the installation -- so don't learn from them.

And you don't need to level the floor. Use shims of whatever will work (shims, pieces of plywood, 1x2) and shim up the cabinets to be level. Level cabinets mean a level countertop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks! The 1x2's were for using for shims..my son is the one doing it..but also, I am wondering when we take the kitchen sink out and switch it around..I know we have to turn the water off first..but is that a fairly simple job to do a switch a roo with that? Or will it be difficult also..and I posted this question twice, cause I thought I may have posted it in the wrong place..thanks for letting me know! Confused

Posts: 222 | Location: Bellwood, PA | Registered: Oct 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Basically, it's not difficult, but that also depends on what sink you want to install -- such as a drop in sink or an undermount sink. And then it also depends on what your new countertop material is going to be. If you're having new countertops pro made, then having them do an attached sink is a good idea. Start by asking whoever is doing the countertops, they can help.

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks Re-mdlr, got the cabinets from Lowes, and we are planning on using the same sink, the countertop also came from Lowes, they still have it there since the cabinets are not installed yet, I gave them the measurements for the sink, so hopefully it will just fit right in..it is a drop in sink, the material for the countertop, I can't remember what it is, but its not an expensive type, like quartz or anything like that, so like I said, hopefully it goes in ok. We won't be doing it for awhile..probably a week or so. Thanks again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xsil11,