All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Building Closet on Ceramic Tile!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Building Closet on Ceramic Tile! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,
        So i just bought my first house and realized it didn't have a pantry in it. My floor is covered with tile and I like the tile but do not want to remove it and or re-tile anything. I'm trying to put in a pantry and would like to know if it's okay to use liquid nails or construction adhesive to to put on the sole plate of the frame. instead of removing tile or drilling through it? and would it move out of place over the years where I would have to reapply a new all or not? i also want to do this because I don't want to drill through the tile and possibly crack or break any of it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What kind of pantry, stick built or cabinet type -- if it's cabinet type, it can go on top of the tile. Is the tile on a cement slab floor, or wood subfloor? Is any of the tile loose, or the grout cracking?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the tile is on wood subfloor and the tile is well placed as well as grout and i was thinking more of stick
        built via 2x4s and other lumbar pieces with drywall. if that's not possible then i'd have to do a cabinet type.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        A framed closet/pantry needs to have the walls anchored. That would mean at least drilling a few locations to anchor the plate. The tiles do not have to be removed. If left to where it can move the drywall will crack, doors will stick and etc...

If you are going to stick build then you will never have to worry about the holes as this type of addition is not something that will be removed in the future so the minor holes in the tile will not make any difference. If this is not desirable then I would suggest you buy or construct a free standing cabinet/pantry

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Or anchor the base plate with screws by drilling through the grout line in-between the tiles.

Jaybee

Posts: 10478 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You know....
        When we first start out I think everyone is a little edgy.
        But with the right tools and a little know how we manage.
        Take your time and I'm sure you will do a good job.

If it were me.
        I would cut the tiles where needed and install your bottom plate. Walls must be anchored to the floor/ceiling somehow.
        Here's a great little tool that doesn't cost much and can be used for lots of things around the house/jobs.
        Be sure to check out the video.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/o...0AIjoiODQ5MyJ9%0D%0A

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I had the same problem. If you don't have the budget now and you want to move and do the other things in time - just find place (like I did) and transform it in pantry. I build something under my stairs. Is not very big but for the moment it's a place where I can deposit stuff, and I don't have to go all day in the attic.

Posts: 7 | Location: CA, Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post