All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Opinions on flat roofs
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Opinions on flat roofs Sign In/Join 
        posted
        A friend of mine recently discovered she had extensive water damage through out many of the walls in the house that had going on for years.

The roof was roughly 15-20 years old. They're considering pitching the roof or even selling.

How confident are any of you with a flat roof constructed in 2014 with (hopefully) better materials and technology. this is a Midwest house.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        IF you have a single piece of rubber roofing without seams, or IF any seamwork is done perfectly and IF your decking and framing underneath is strong enough to remain flat without buckling over time and IF you construct a slight pitch for drainage then a flat roof can last for a very long time.

It's just that the potential for failure is so much greater. A flat room must remain waterproof. A pitched room merely has to shed water in a chosen direction. Big difference.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        A neighbor in Nebr had a flat roof (1960's architect designed home). They also had issues, and so put a pitched roof over the existing home. With a pull down stairway installed, they added a lot of storage doing so, plus a great skylight in the kitchen.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I flat out rejected two houses in our search due to flat roofs. no way in Hades. you will always have issues with a flat roof. and then there's the snow. we get snow here. enough to buckle roofs at Wal-marts, gas stations, community centers, etc.

where with a pitched roof any bunch of semi-competent pickup workers can keep the water out with a little instruction, it takes built-up roofers the best material and workmanship all the time on every part of every job to keep the water moving to the scuppers. and larger roofs... well, I can tell tales of deck gravel plugging the center drains, or ice plugging the center drains, and flooding equipment rooms in the hospital.

every other year.

don't like 'em. I spit in their general direction.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Membrane is the way to go with a flat or nearly flat roof. I wouldn't do a built up roof when a properly installed membrane is so much better.

I had a membrane on our last house because the addition couldn't get enough pitch due to windows on the second floor. It didn't give me any problems in the 4 years I owned the house, and it wasn't new when I had it and it was already about 4 years old when I bought the house. Last time I drove by it looked like it was still the same roof, 14 years later. I could be wrong though. I don't know the current owner of the house. I did make a small cut in the roof with a ladder once, I patched it with a bicycle inner tube patch. It wasn't on the horizontal part of the roof, but the patch stayed in place from the time I put it on.

On large commercial buildings flat is really the only economical choice.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 890 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        There used to be a saying, "There are two types of roofs, one that has slopes and the other that has leaks."Wink

I am sure there is a lot better material and installation practices for flat roofs now than 20 years ago. But I sure would spend time finding a skilled roofer with lots of good results and experience with replacing a flat one.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to forward your opinions and advice to my friend.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        In your question i will be very confident cause for me having a better material means quality ,in Helsinki where i am an handyman i mostly bought quality materials in fact i build a door or ovet in quality material and it is 20 years now and it is still looking good.

Posts: 11 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        andre my lad, you had a little typo there. You wrote "handyman" while I'm sure you meant to say "spambyman". You might want to go back and edit that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, do you think that perhaps you're expecting too much of this repeated spammer? After all, he still hasn't figured out that his alleged location of the Philippines is halfway around the world from where he allegedly works in Helsinki, unless he's established an international schedule that would make Hillary and Kissinger envious.

He may just be having trouble figuring out where in the world he is, let alone recognize that he's just another spammer with nothing to say.

Posts: 1965 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I feel confident in saying that the spammers using the "How To Make Big Money on the Internets Thing" tips bought 5 copies of the course.

the rest are hacking away from pirate versions.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post