All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    framing help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

framing help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Im wanting to build a tiny house/studio in my back yard.Im just starting the plans.. would like some input. As of now i'm planning it to be 8x12.. here is what i have so far.. I wasn't sure if 2x6 floor joist were enough or if I needed 2x8. I found these at lowes... joist are 16oc.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19070-...e%2Bblock&facetInfo=
        is it necessary for me to use Girders or can I just put the floor joist onto the blocks? as in picture.. if so how far should i span them along edges and middle for support. I plan to use pressure treat lumber for the joist and subfloor. unless better recommendation.. any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        http://i87.photobucket.com/alb...use2_zps34990a2f.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/alb...use1_zps669f56ee.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: camille davis,

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        You will never regret over building a building like that, but you sure will be out of luck if it's under built.
        The floors will bounce, the doors and windows will not stay in alignment.
        I've also never once had someone say I have to much room in my shed. Ever notice how many people have a tiny garage and then have to also build a shed because the garage is to small?
        A few dollars spent now will save you money later.
        A simple cheap way to do a reality check is to take the time to figure out what you really plan on having in there, shelving, work bench, drawing table, boxes of supply's ECT. and lay it out on graft paper.
        Things like doubled up rim joist, wider floor joist, using 3/4 Advantech T & G subflooring, 2 X 6 studs if it's to be heated and or cooled, 2 X 8 ceiling joist so the attic can be used for storage, joist hangers, going with a gambrel style roof for more storage area, building it 10 X 10, making sure the building is at least 6" up off of grade, poring real 24 X 24 X 6" deep footing.
        Will give you a longer lasting, nonsagging better building.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        so your saying for wall studs do 2x6? for heated or cooled?

posted Hide Post
        im considering buying these plans.. they are really more than I want to spend but it is what i want as far as design.. this will be more of a studio.. so it will have me possibly a small couch. work table. tv ect..
        http://www.fourlightshouses.com/products/the-beavan

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Using 2 X 6's will allow you to bump up the insulation from R-13 to R-19.
        Nice looking buildings but a real challenge for a first time DIY.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        do you think it would be too hard. Im a fast learner.. as long as I have directions I can replicate.. I just need to know Im doing it the right way..

posted Hide Post
        obviously not the same as building a small house. But I have done several projects with woodworking.

http://imperfectlyimaginable.b...finish-tutorial.html

http://imperfectlyimaginable.b...ired-retro-kids.html

http://imperfectlyimaginable.b...me-for-holdiays.html

I like a challenge..lol.. the only thing that makes me nervous is that this isn't a couple hundred dollars to mess up.. I plan to try to get a lot of things from like the restore and repurpose things..

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:

I attempted to access the first link and fortunately Norton blocked it, with this notifcation:

"Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

http://i87.photobucket.com/alb...use2_zps34990a2f.jpg

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security."

???

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        its not... its just my sketchup plans

posted Hide Post
        oh sorry no thats my blog

posted Hide Post
        It is a Photobucket account. I had no problems accessing it.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Any home center will have books on how to build a shed.
        What tools and experience do you have?
        Get into arches and post and beams like in those pictures and it's far more complicated.

joecaption

posted Hide Post
        I have a book on basic carpentry that I have read through.
        It explains framing a basic a frame roof.. it has span tables to refer to..
        I under stand the framing 16 oc.. I understand how to frame in doors windows. and how to carry the load with headers cripples ect.. the roof makes me a little nervous I understand the math behind it.. I guess I just haven't done one so Im a little apprehensive about that.

I have done more finish carpentry.. we have currently,
        table saw
        circular saw
        miter saw
        jig saw
        drill
        2 diff nail guns
        air compressor
        sanders
        router
        ect..
        we would prob purchase a framing nail gun.

my husbands a mechanic on the v22 osprey so hes good with tools and I also know how to use all of them. Im good at seeing how things go together.

This would be our first structure type build.

Im finding that construction in general interest me..

posted Hide Post
        Maybe you won't have to buy plans, if you like one of these.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/sheds

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Camille might I suggest a good book that will cover most of your construction questions and aid in your building process. It is called "Modern Carpentry" and is written by Willis H. Wagner. It has been used as a textbook for school capentry classes. Haven't checked to see if it is available online through one of the book brokers but you may even find it at the library or used book store.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I see them on eBay, and Amazon.

joecaption