All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Cement Countertops with a crack! (Finishing tips HELP)
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cement Countertops with a crack! (Finishing tips HELP) Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I did 3 large sections. One of them has a crack. Honestly it doesn't really bother me. But I would like to fill it. I used 5000+ cement, 1.75" thick and it's sitting on permanent 3/4" plywood.

I have a 2 part sealer, and a food grade wax, I haven't used it yet because I am exploring the possibilities of filling the crack. Since it's on wood and secure it won't break off or have structural issues... Should I use a cement seam filler that is expandable? I'd like to use the same cement, mix a small batch and just fill in the crack as good as I can, that way it will be a perfect color match. (I used no color) but perfect color match, meaning... same type of cement and so forth. Tips or tricks before I move forward with sanding and sealing?

Thanks

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's def. rustic, I did want those holes on the edge... Smile Some areas are heavier that planned so I may do a filler on some edge spots as well, if I can.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since it's such a new pour, I'd go with using the same cement as a patching compound. Widen out the crack just a little by using something with a sharp edge to trace down the crack. This will remove any remnants of material that may break off later anyway and make for a larger and stronger section to fill. Mix your material thinner that how you did for the initial pour so it can flow completely into the crack.

After it has started to cure but not cured completely, you should be able to wipe the surface of the repaired area to smooth it down and blend it in further. Once you add sealer you may not notice it very much at all.

Jaybee

Posts: 10340 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Perfect. That's what my sister recommended as well. Thanks again!