DIY Message Boards
polyurethane fail?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/3893975277

Jul 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
paintpixie42
polyurethane fail?
I painted a bench with exterior gloss paint. Once it was dry my handyman then applied two coats of gloss polyurethane. The polyurethane became cloudy and dried that way. What went wrong and how do I fix it? It was hot outside, but it was all painted in the shade. Thanks.
Jul 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
joecaption
#1 There was no need to use Poly over ext. paint.
#2 You would have to use a marine grade poly for it to last more then a year because of the UV.
#3 Most poly will fail long before an ext. paint will and need to be sanded off to refinish which most likely will scratch or remove the paint under it so you would be back to square one.
And to answer your real question if he did this when there was high humidity, it was old poly, poly was not stirred and allowed to set long enough for the air bubbles to settle out, paint was not allowed to dry long enough it can cloud up.

joecaption
Jul 28, 2013, 10:56 AM
paintpixie42
Thanks, Joe. It's going to be used in a business and will have high usage which is why I used the polyurethane. Yes, there was high humidity which is unusual for our area. Yep, square one, I will paint over it and start again.
Jul 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
joecaption
Painting over poly is a whole other topic.
Going to have to sand it to rough it up and use an oil based bonding primer before painting.
And it's never going to hold up as well painting paint over paint would have.

joecaption
Jul 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
paintpixie42
Ok, Joe. Thanks for the pointers.