All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    basement insulation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

basement insulation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am new and have run into a situation that confuses me. My walk out basement is very cold, so I pulled two pieces of paneling off the wall thinking I would put insulation behind it and have found there is no space to do so. I couldn't attach the photos here, but could send them if they would be helpful.
        There is only about an inch between the paneling and the cinder block foundation.

In some places the cinder blocks have actually been dug out to put in the electrical boxes, and there is a huge gap under the window with no cinder blocks, just the outside bricks And there is some sort of black paper like roofing tar paper on the bottom 1/3 of the cinder blocks. Should I put insulation in the big cavity under the window and just use spray foam to fill in around the open wires and electrical boxes and put the paneling back? I don't want to lose a lot of space in the rec room to build the walls out.
        I am a single woman who is very capable of doing things with the right instruction, but I find myself stymied by this. Any education as to what I am actually looking at would be great. Suggestions of what to do to make the room warmer would be even more appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Nov 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        When was your house built? Your description sounds like what I've been told was the trend for houses built in some areas of Oakland County, Michigan, in the 1970's.

We ran into this problem when we replaced cut-in shutters....black paper like tar paper, no insulation, just bricks on the wall as the exterior, even nails from the interior sticking through into the cavity.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        House was built in 1964. From what I have learned I believe this is the original construction.

Posts: 3 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Nov 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You have a wall covering set on furring strips - meaning that there is not much room for insulation.

You could remove the paneling and install rigid foam between the furring strips. This would give you about R-5 or R-6. Not much, but it would be an improvement. The thing is, it's a lot of work for just a little insulation.

Unfortunately, to get any real insulation value, you need to create more space. This can be done but is a major project. Basics are removing everything you now have, construct a traditional 2x4 stud wall that sits about 1/2" off the block wall, then insulate with regular fiberglass (R-13)and finally install paneling or drywall.

Jaybee

Posts: 10332 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks so much. I am getting good feedback about my options. Much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
        Hi SherlockFan,

You mentioned that you were unable to post pics here. That is not unusually as all pics posted here must be less than 100KB in size which can be hard to do if you are not computer savvy.

A much easier way is to post your pics at a free site like http://www.photobucket.com where there is no limitation as to size of the pics you post there and then post links of those pics at photobucket.com when you post a message here. This allows others to view your pics and offer suggestions which are of much more benefit based on their observations in your pics.

Good Luck!

Posts: 518 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post