All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    painting a periscope
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

painting a periscope Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have been tasked with building a periscope for our local golf course. It needs to be approx. 18 feet long as it has to allow the person using it to look over a rise in the fairway to see if it is clear to hit. I read somewhere that I should paint the inside black as it would make it easier to view the image on the mirrors. I've put it together to make sure everything fits and it seems to have a pretty good view with the bare wood. I know I need to paint it to protect the wood but am wondering what thoughts you guys might have on using black paint on the inside.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Well, I do know that black absorbs heat. Heat comes from the sun which is very bright in color. Absorbing something is the opposite of reflecting something. I would assume black would be a good color for this as it would absorb the light, making the images more true as they reflect off the mirrors.

I hope this helps because, really, you have me stumped on this one.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, I did a search of the Internet for help in building such a large periscope and the only article I found was from the year 1924 and he said to paint the inside black. Guess there isn't a lot of demand for large periscopes. Thanks again.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yep, flat black

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post