DIY Message Boards
painting a periscope

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/3763999077

Jun 02, 2013, 12:53 PM
Hutch45
painting a periscope
I have been tasked with building a periscope for our local golf course. It needs to be approx. 18 feet long as it has to allow the person using it to look over a rise in the fairway to see if it is clear to hit. I read somewhere that I should paint the inside black as it would make it easier to view the image on the mirrors. I've put it together to make sure everything fits and it seems to have a pretty good view with the bare wood. I know I need to paint it to protect the wood but am wondering what thoughts you guys might have on using black paint on the inside.
Jun 03, 2013, 07:30 AM
Times 5
Well, I do know that black absorbs heat. Heat comes from the sun which is very bright in color. Absorbing something is the opposite of reflecting something. I would assume black would be a good color for this as it would absorb the light, making the images more true as they reflect off the mirrors.

I hope this helps because, really, you have me stumped on this one.
Jun 03, 2013, 07:49 AM
Hutch45
Thanks, I did a search of the Internet for help in building such a large periscope and the only article I found was from the year 1924 and he said to paint the inside black. Guess there isn't a lot of demand for large periscopes. Thanks again.
Jun 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
nona
Yep, flat black