All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    How to terminate wainscoting?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to terminate wainscoting? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Mainer82
        posted
        I'd like to install wainscoting in our dining room, however the two entry ways that lead to/from the room do not have door trim. I'm wondering if I should add trim around the doors or if there's a proper way to terminate the wainscoting so that it looks good?

I'll be using 1/4" maple plywood for the paneling and some sort of chair rail.

Posts: 4 | Location: Maine | Registered: Mar 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Without seeing the room I would just be taking a shot in the dark. It depends on whether it is an outside or inside corner. Can you terminate it with a piece of chair rail verticle that is mitered to the top rail. Sort of picture framed design. If the chair rail is not what you want then check for other molding style that would go with your chair rail. I had one wall in my house that I used chair rail and molding seperated by a 6" tile between the two. I just 45'd it back to the corner on the location but then again I didn't use wainscot and it was an outside corner of a hallway opening.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1774 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Best locations are to terminate into a door trim or at an inside / outside corner. You can end it anywhere else as stated above by using an edge trim or turning the chairrail downwards but sometimes that can look a bit odd.

Jaybee

Posts: 10437 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post