All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Spray foam under steps???
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Spray foam under steps??? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        At the back of my house I have two 4'-5' long concrete steps. There is a huge gap below the top step and behind the bottom step, it extends the entire length of the steps. So far, I've filled in the gap with stone from the left and right but it's hard to get the stone in the middle area of the steps and basically there are quite a few gaps that will not get filled. My intention was to finish the job with concrete by "throwing it in from both sides and having a smooth finish.

Could I spray foam in order to fill in the various gaps and then finish the sides with concrete?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You could, but it wouldn't do anything to help.

Expandable foam will deteriorate under outdoor exposure conditions. Instead of foam, mix up a pourable mortar mix. Keep it thin enough so that it can work it's way inside the cracks and gaps.

Jaybee

Posts: 10370 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The only problem is I have to get the mortar in from the sides. Any ways to fill the voids other than trying to "throw" it in?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        get hold of some empty calk tubes make sure the end cap is available fill with the mixture cap it and squeeeeese it in.you also will need some patience and a cold beer

Posts: 760 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you need a mortar bag. This is a cone-shaped canvas bag with a metal tip about 1/4 inch in diameter. Put the mortar mix into the bag and squeeze the mix out the tip.

Posts: 1004 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        X2 on the mortar bag idea.

Jaybee

Posts: 10370 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You could use this...
        Just need a regular torch like for soldering. The stix melt and seal the crack.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cra..._-NA-_-100658840-_-N

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 860 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post