All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Recessing a flat screen TV
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Recessing a flat screen TV Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm getting ready to cut the studs and create a frame for the TV, my question is how best to secure the sheet of plywood that will be in the back of the niche?

It's a 50" TV. I plan to use a mount with an "arm" that can be pulled forward in order to attach the TV to the mount and then be pushed back into the wall. I have access behind the wall.

My idea was to double up the plywood and lag screw it to the 2x4 framing from behind the wall.

I'm open to any ideas, thanks.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A little more info would help but:

This sounds like it must be an interior wall as you have access from the back side. So the things to consider are not only how things will look fro the TV side but how this will affect the room on the back side. Also a factor is if this is a load bearing wall or not.

Basically, I would build a box out of 3/4" finish grade plywood (birch or oak) that is large enough to hold the TV and give it some breathing room to stay cool. You can then cut out your framing to create a rough opening that will fit the outside dimensions of this box. Depending on the wall, you may need to install a header to do this.

Once you have the RO, you can slide the plywood box inside and securely screw it to the framing of the RO. You could do a double 3/4" back if you really want it to be strong but if you screw and glue your box together a single thickness back will be strong enough to hold most size TV's on a mount.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You're right Jaybee, it's an interior wall. I basically built a room within a room in my basement and no one will ever see the back of the box.

I like your idea of building the box first then cutting the RO. My brain was going to have me do it the other way - cut the RO then cut the box to fit and that's a LOT more work!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        And just don't ever change the size of your TV screen!Wink

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post