All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Wood Floor Repair
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wood Floor Repair Sign In/Join 
        posted
        A portion of my wood floor was bleached out by the sun shine over time. It is a small 3X8 section. I cannot replace that section since I do not have enough of the wood and it was discontinued. How best to repair it?

RP Dolan

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What type of wood and how long has it been there?

What is the subfloor and how was the wood installed?

What color and size planks?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Can you post a picture.?

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        depending on how handy you are, you could cut out a section of floor from a hidden area (closet, under the couch,etc )and cut the damaged area the same size as the replacement and splice it in with the damaged piece going into the area you got the good piece from.
        However, this will take quite some skill to do properly.
        I would leave it alone as the new piece you put in, however which way, will also fade from the sun, and you will be back to square one again.
        You might put on some window film to slow the fading

Posts: 2584 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Agree with Nona about leaving it alone. In fact, if you do pull flooring from closet, it may well be darker than the rest of the room because the rest of the room has faded somewhat, while that in the closet has not faded at all.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Solution:

Redo the whole floor to the same color, then prevent the source of the problem from fading it again.

Our wallpaper in the bathroom was faded from the sunlight coming in the thick-glass...changed the wallpaper, but we also put-up a blind that filters the light. When the sun's rays are no longer direct, we open the blind more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tstex,

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Perhaps a good UV protective varnish might have helped? Wonder if removal of the varnish and using a gel stain in the faded area could reduce the variation in color? It would need be a carefully executed process for sure.

Solving the intense sun exposure on the area with some sort of window treatment would also be my first option, as others have suggested.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        sounds like a good candidate for a floor guy to sand and refinish.

did you know that if you tip the window blinds so the slats point UP a quarter of the way instead of down, weasels can't see in and down to where the valuable stuff usually is, and the sun won't directly fade out the floor? that's even cheaper than UV film on the windows.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Want to address swschard's comment:

One of the biggest pet-peeves I have is getting my wife, girls [11-14] and the lady that comes to clean the house, is to make sure that from the inside of the house, you can look out or down the blinds. this means, that as stated, you can see out, but the person trying to look in cannot, or can only see the ceiling if anything. this also keeps the UV out, thus fading. Told them if they do it on the 2nd story, not a problem for security/privacy, but UV yes....

When they want me out of the house, all the blinds will be turned the right way. bc if they are, I will have a heart attack and die...

Could be a lot more to worry about in life, but if you are going to close the blinds, turn them the correct way.

posted Hide Post
        Do you know what the finish is on the entire area (type of poly etc) water based won't yellow like oil based so if you change patch and then refinish it the oil base poly will take time to "fade" and match rest of floor, be real careful if you are getting like hardwood and putting it down and possibly staining to match existing because that's when it gets a bit trickier. Good luck with it. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SpaPartsPlace
        posted Hide Post
        From time to time your wooden floor will need repairing, either to remove scratches or stains or even to correct a floor that was badly laid in the first place. Scratches can be sanded away using fine to medium sand paper but it is recommended that you should consult a professional before doing anything.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post