DIY Message Boards
Build soffit around gas pipe/air conditioner line?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/3163980377

Aug 15, 2013, 10:34 PM
Jmc004
Build soffit around gas pipe/air conditioner line?
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and wrapping up the framing. I've already built soffits around the duct work that hangs below the joists and am ready to start building the soffit around the main gas line and central air line that hang below the joists as well. Problem is, they hang pretty low and if I build a soffit around them, after drywall there will only be a clearance of about 6'3". The space isn't that large to begin with, so I don't want to make it look any smaller. I realize this is just a matter of preference, but are there any disadvantages to not boxing this in (other than having to see the pipes). I'm drywalling the rest of the ceiling if that helps. Thanks!
Aug 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
Jaybee
It's just a looks thing. One tip, sometimes it looks better to make the soffit larger. Obviously make it up as high as possible but rather than just a little 'bump-down' area that sticks into the room it would be a wider low area. It just tends to blend in a little more.

But, there is nothing wrong with having the exposed lines - only the look of it.

Jaybee