All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Screened-in balcony
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Screened-in balcony Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hoping someone can help me figure out what it is I'm looking for..

My boyfriend and I are currently renting a condo on the 2nd (top) floor of the building. We have a decent size screened in balcony that faces a busy road, and therefore a lot of dirt comes in through the screen.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can put up over the screens to prevent all the debris from the road from coming in our balcony and making our tile floor dirty. The tiles closest to the screen turn black pretty easily. Does such a "cover" exist? I don't even know what to search for when I try and look for whatever it is I have in mind.

We don't get much sunlight on the balcony, but I would like to be able to sit out there and enjoy it without everything turning black from dirt or whatever other particles fly in.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I don't know of any screen that would keep the dust out of your balcony. I think you'd have to enclose it to seal it from the outside dirt. Since you are renting, and it is a condo this will be a bit of a problem. If it was yours you could put in a request to the condo association to allow you to enclose it with glass. Given that it isn't yours, you need approval from the association and the owner.

I've seen heavy plastic covers in bars and restaurants with outdoor patios so they can use them year round here in NC. Something like that might work and could possibly be attached with minimal damage to the finished structure. Large hinged and framed pieces of Lexan or plexi-glass might work but would quickly get very expensive.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here is a website that has what I was referring to. They aren't cheap so given it is a rental I'd make sure you plan to stay for a while.

http://www.mosquitocurtains.co...r-vinyl-plastic.html

Clear Vinyl Plastic Enclosures For Wind and Rain See Our Main Photo Gallery (Click images to enlarge)
        Can't enjoy you porch or patio during cold weather? Some folks just like to be outdoors,either with friends watching a football game or enjoying that outdoor kitchen you just had built. Clear Vinyl Plastic panels will protect your porch or patio from rain, snow and cold weather. Great when you have plants that need protection, or for pets that shiver their tails off while you are away and need access to the yard for some private time.

Made of a marine-grade 20mil thick vinyl plastic, these outdoor plastic panels can be used to cover an existing screen porch or as plastic window covers. Best of all, you found the low cost fabricator of outdoor vinyl plastic panels, since we've engineered them smarter that the awning companies using larger vinyl sheets that are rare and custom-made to our high specifications.

Clear Vinyl Plastic Enclosure Kits
        We have designed Clear Vinyl plastic enclosures that easily install securely without intrusive and clunky hardware. We also have an overhead tracking system that enables you to have outdoor plastic curtains. What is the cost to protect a screen porch with plastic covers? We are about 65% of the cost of any competitor, but with super quality. A 36ft wide x 8ft tall project would be under $1,600. If less than 78" tall (for plastic window covers), under $1,200.

If you can handle a screw driver and a ladder, you can install this project. We' will coach you through the planning process and provide a DIY plastic enclosure kit with everything you need. Best of all, you can easily remove them without professional help (and cost) because our secure fasteners are simpler to remove.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 861 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you might try reducing the size of the mesh by spraying it with an undiluted detergent. The surface tension of the detergent will make the mesh smaller and when it gets too dirty either rain or hosing it down will clean it. If it works, you'll have to repeat the treatment periodically. Try it on a small section first and see if the idea works
        In addition, the detergent will also hold any dust that comes in contact with it

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2575 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sparky has a good idea, you could also look for roll up blinds.
        You could make some wooden frames that has a clear plastic. They could either open outward or upward just using door hinges.

Posts: 888 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you all for your suggestions! I might just put a whole bunch of tall potted plants out there. I'll certainly look into the plastic covers, or even roll up blinds.

Thanks again! Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post