DIY Message Boards
Raise Headboard

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/2663958377

Sep 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
buffalobill23
Raise Headboard
I recently bought a new bed and the mattress is 12 inches higher than my old one. The headboard I was using is actually a storage unit. I am attaching a picture. I want to raise the headboard by 12 inches. I am looking for suggestions as to the most practical and economical way to do that. I know my way around a drill and power saw so using lumber to make a platform is an option. I just need a good design. I was also thinking of using some type of blocks but I am not sure what type would be the best. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 16, 2013, 04:28 PM
redoverfarm
I would say that the most economical way sort of buying a new headboard would be to build a box platform to except the old one. In other words just large enough so that the old one sits down into the new one by 1" or so. But it looks as if the old one has at least 12" of apron already. That may put the top at a greater heigth than desired especially if it is going under a window.
Sep 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
Jaybee
As for making it, buy one sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. About $45 to $50. Rip it to 12", make a basic box with some cross braces also out of plywood and you're good to go. Hold it together with finish nails and wood glue.

If you search around, there are more 'commercial' types of stores out there that will sell you a similar product that is already pre-finished on one side. Cost will be about the same.

Jaybee