All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Metal roof care
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Metal roof care Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers!

Had a metal roof installed a few years ago and I think that I have properly maintained it since. Told by the roofer,at that time, to use this red roof coating that was expensive,to protect the roof,no problem. To be brief,I used it but always needed to redo every year. When it peeled in spots,I would scrap, sand a little,prime then reapply this coating. Last year,I use Rustoleum to cover the roof,since the roof was metal and Rustoleum protects metal.Well, more peeling and I must redo the roof now. Here is my question... should I scrap,wash,prime and then apply the gray aluminum roofing paint on top of the Rustoleum? Suggestions are very welcome. Thanks

titans

Posts: 100 | Location: Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Aug 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, the bad news is that had you spent an extra $100 and gotten metal roofing with a baked-on painted finish, you would have done nothing at all to maintain it. Water under the bridge now.

You are going to be stuck with scraping and painting as needed. How long each coating will last will depend mostly on your prep-work - best would be pressure washing with a mils acid wash to lightly etch the metal. But since you are painting a roof material that likely will easily get too hot for the paint to dry at a normal rate, you are going to get peeling.

Can't imagine why your roofer sold you a product that needs to coated. The price difference between raw 'tin' roofing and thicker painted roofing is not very much. The painted roofing runs between 25 and 50 years for warranties.

Jaybee

Posts: 10423 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is a product called "extend " that is applied to rusted areas. It has phosphoric acid in it that reacts with the rust and protects the metal underneath. It should be painted afterward, without removing any of the coating.
        There is another product called "devcon Z " that is a zinc rich paint that is approved for military and civilian use. It is applied over bare, clean steel or iron and if scratched, the zinc in the coating somehow through electrolysis moves into the scratch and protects it.
        There are other brand names for zinc rich coatings, but if the container doesn't feel extraordinarily heavy it isn't what I'm talking about
        On a roof, you might need both. but only if it's steel
        here's a link http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee and Nona.

titans

Posts: 100 | Location: Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Aug 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by titans:
        Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers!

Had a metal roof installed a few years ago and I think that I have properly maintained it since. Told by the roofer,at that time, to use this red roof coating that was expensive,to protect the roof,no problem. To be brief,I used it but always needed to redo every year. When it peeled in spots,I would scrap, sand a little,prime then reapply this coating. Last year,I use Rustoleum to cover the roof,since the roof was metal and Rustoleum protects metal.Well, more peeling and I must redo the roof now. Here is my question... should I scrap,wash,prime and then apply the gray aluminum roofing paint on top of the Rustoleum? Suggestions are very welcome. Thanks

titans

Hi there mate! I had the same problem before, I tried several options even consults some "experts" from forums etc etc but i ended up doing so every year... Because of my frustrations, I engaged with professional roofers. I am recommending Homestead Roofers and they are really good! If you are interested, check them out here: http://www.homesteadroofing.com/ Cool

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Metal roofs provide a number of benefits to homeowners and owners of commercial properties. While compared to other roof materials, Metal roof needs the less maintenance. Roofing styles such as slate and wood shakes are almost unchanged for few centuries. The technological advances, however, paved the way for roofs that are made up of asphalt, fiberglass composites, and lightweight concrete and coated-metal tiles for sophisticated look and feel.

roofing contractor
        roof repair

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Metals roofs can be a great addition to a house, if installed properly and if a good metal is used. While aluminum and others are cheap, well, they are cheap. They will leak or rust much quicker than a quality roof. We at Ornametals only use zinc and copper. They are high quality metals that when properly installed can last a lifetime.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I too agree that metal roof requires time to tie maintenance and few months ago I was also facing the same problem, then I came to know about best roof insurance claim process. It not only saves my time but money also.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No one should do business with advertisers that are too stupid to understand the NO ADVERTISING rules required by this forum. If they are that stupid, do you think they really know and follow any contract, or do they just do what they want with no regard to right or wrong. They can't even follow the simple rules of this forum, which a third grader could follow.

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Well said. Not only are they too stupid to be entrusted with any construction/building work, they've demonstrated they're too incompetent to generate business legitimately.

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        On this very page to the right about mid-way you will see "POSTING GUIDELINES". If you count them little squares go down to number four.

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post