All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Replacement of Garage Entry Door
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replacement of Garage Entry Door Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My home was built in 1978 and I currently have the original entry door from the garage going into the house. I am remodeling my garge and I want to change the entry door to a steel insulated. My problem is that current the door opens up INTO the garage (outwards from the inside) this was done because there are door other doors in the same hallway (one for the basement and one for the small bathroom) so I assume they did that to not have another door open up into the others.

I am trying to figure out if I truly need an outward swinging door or if I can use and Inward swings just backwards. There is no still on the bottom of the door - my title floor just stops at the edge and then into the garage you have a step down onto a ledge then onto the floor.

anyone have any experience with something like this? Kind of a strange setup because it is not your traditional setup with a sill.

any help would be great.. Thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Not really that strange. Sounds as if you need an inswing door with either a right or left swing the same size as the one you have. If you want to take off the threshold to allow the seal to go against the tile rather than the threshold then so be it. Only problem is if the door is exposed to the weather you might need the sill. Most chances are that you will have to buy one with the jamb as the hinges and strike plates will not match up given the difference of inward/outward swing styles and directions.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What you need is a "pre-hung fire rated door" for the entry from the garage to the home. Measure for size horizontal and vertically. A 36 inch door is standard and best for that application. A 36 inch door requires a rough opening of approx. 38 inches from frame member to frame member. And I would suggest you buy a 'double bore' door. That is one bore for the door handle and one bore for the deadbolt. That is for safety purposes in case of a break in into the garage while you are at home -- and the 'fire rating' is required by building codes everywhere.

I can't help but wonder why it wasn't built standard in the first place, I mean, why would someone remove the sill? Maybe they did that when they decided to swing the door the wrong direction. Or maybe the house was built with no entry door from the garage to the house and they decided to add one. (it does happen).

Check with the big box stores or your local lumber yard to get a door and they will ask you if you want it to swing from the left or the right. Image that you put your butt up against the butte hinges, which way do you want the door to swing inward? They can get you the right door at approx. $300 in my area

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 868 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        FYI I did plan on buying a complete pre hung door so that everything would be new. I am trying to picture what the frame trim would look like and act if I put a inswing door that would essentially inswing into the garage.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        In-swing into the house is typical, pick what trim will fit the other trim in the house. If you need a visual aid, pick a friends house or a model home and check out what they have.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 868 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Lowes sells pre-hung out-swinging steel entry doors. The outside (garage side) would have brick mold on it and on the inside you would trim it out with trim to match your house. I'm sure Home Depot and Menards and your local home improvement store/building supply store do as well or they can order it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19988-...ry%2Bdoor&facetInfo=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 597 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post