All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Crawl space insulation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Crawl space insulation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a house that has a vented crawl space.
        It ranges from 5 feet in height down to two
        feet. Dirt floor and stays dry. There is a gas
        furnace located in the crawl space and it keeps
        the area fairly warm. The wood floors above
        along the perimeter must have been cold in the winter
        and the previous owner insulated the crawl space ceiling
        along the perimeter. Should I remove the insulation or
        keep it ? The crawl space ceilings look find but I have
        not seen the done in the Memphis area before.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since it's vented there are some things you should do:

1. Add a vapor barrier. This is most important and fairly easy and inexpensive. Roll out 4mil or 6mil poly and cover 100% of the exposed dirt.

2. Insulate all of the subfloor above. Even though you do have a heat source in the crawl space, the open vents can negate that - especially when it gets very cold. Install R19 faced insulation in-between the joists with the paper facing up towards the living space. This too is fairly inexpensive and easy to do, just messy.

Jaybee

Posts: 10387 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        This is exactly what I'd like to do. I would like to insulate my floors and also have just a crawlspace with dirt floor. But my sub-floors don't have floor joists to attach insulation to. My house is pier and beam construction with the beams spaced 5 feet apart. Is there a product that comes in wider sizes or how else can I attach the insulation?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can install slats across the underside of the beam "joists' that you do have. The slats can be 1/4" x 1-1/2" wood slats or even vinyl webbing.

If you have a table saw, you can rip the slats out of 2x stock fairly cheaply. The slats will need to be about 2' apart to support the insulation. Once the slats are in place, just weave the insulation up on top of it. Or, you can hold the insulation in place with some staples into the subfloor above, then install the slats to hold the insulation over time.

Jaybee

Posts: 10387 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, Jaybee! My crawlspace is tight, about 18 inches to at most 30 inches (but the majority is 18 inches high), so I'm wondering how difficult it will be to install the slats or webbing throughout the entire 1200 sq.ft. Do you think that a DIY'er can tackle this work? Also, what's vinyl webbing?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Not really sure what Jaybee was referring to but you can buy the rolls of 2" plastic webbing similar to what they use to repair or replace the older folding lawn chairs. Use a staple gun to install.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup - red's got it right.

18" is tight. Installing the insulation itself is not too difficult and is certainly a DIY type project. If it were me, I think I'd be hiring a couple of skinny high schoolers to do most of the install.

Jaybee