All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Repairing Winter Water Leak
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Repairing Winter Water Leak Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello,
        Due to ice dams from this winter, I had water leaking in my garage from the attic above, and ultimately from the roof. I have used roof tar to patch the leaky spot outside, now I'm trying to determine my next steps. I have some pictures of the wood where the leak was coming into the house. Looks like some mold/mildew. The drywall is damaged inside the garage. How should I begin repairing the wood/plywood in the attic? Should I run a dehumidifier in the attic? This is part of the roof and ceiling to the garage. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The drywall is damaged beyond repair - you need to cut out the bad areas and replace with new.

The OSB roof decking is also damaged and should be replaced. I can understand you not wanting to have to tear the shingles off in that area (although this would be best)so at the very least you need to shore up under the soft spot on the OSB with some solid blocking. However, since the OSB has already degraded, this is a short term fix.

As is the fix using roofing tar. It may last one season, probably not. It will leak again.

To get it fixed for good, you nee to remove the damaged section of OSB (and the shingles above it). Your ice dam repair should be a solid, unbroken sheet of roofing material that comes up off the edge about 3' or so. This really should be done all around the house. Easier to justify if you are due for new shingles.

Jaybee

Posts: 10308 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the prompt response. Just so I understand, your stating the correct fix would be to:

-remove the shingles on/around the damaged OSB,
        -remove/replace the OSB that has begun to degrade,
        -add a 3' section of roof flashing, and
        -replace any damaged drywall on the interior

Is that accurate?

Thanks,
        C

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        That is correct. The only thing to clarify is that the entire roof edge should be protected by an ice dam. While you currently have this damage in this one place (hopefully) it could happen anywhere else.

Jaybee

Posts: 10308 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi cjmark247,

As Jaybee has suggested you should apply an Ice and Water Guard membrane along the whole edge of the roof where eaves exist. This membrane is 3' wide and sticks to the sheathing. This is then covered with tarpaper and then shingles and prevents ice and water damage because of ice dams in the winter. Ideally it is also layed in any valleys your roof may have. Using this prevents further periods you may have with ice-daming in winter. The time to apply it is of course when you plan to re-shinge your roof. Using it now repair this small area will prevent the problem in that one area of your roof but leaves other areas open for ice-daming.

Below is a link to a product that I'm referring to:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gra...nt-5003002/202088840

In the above link are other suggested products that do a similar job,

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!

Posts: 518 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Can you give us a picture of this area from the outside.?
        What pitch is the roof.?
        Was there insulation in this area, if so, is your garage heated.?
        Do you have eave vents, etc..?

How come the plywood doesn't cover the length of the rafter.?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Can you give us a picture of this area from the outside.?
        What pitch is the roof.?
        Was there insulation in this area, if so, is your garage heated.?
        Do you have eave vents, etc..?

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post