All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Cracks on ceiling and bricks outside
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Cracks on ceiling and bricks outside Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My house was built in 1960. I've lived here for 32 years. We had a foundation problem, which is common in this area, but I had a building inspector look at the house for any structure issues about 3 years ago. I had sand pumped under the slab and had siding put on. I had a metal roof put on over 20 years ago. The inspector said my garage roof was sagging and the trusses needed to be fixed and raised. I have a friend that wants to put a weight supporting wall down the middle to fix that. I had a contractor want to fix it, by tearing out the whole ceiling and redoing the trusses. I tnink now the rest of the house has the same problem, because of a few cracks in the ceiling in a couple of rooms and a couple of cracks in the brick in the front of my house. My husband passed away over 3 years ago, so it's so hard to make any major decisions about this and having strangers in my house and trusting the right people to do the work. My son lives out of state, but thinks it's not a hard job to get done. Is there a way to get this done, without tearing down my ceilings?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The cracks you describe are most likely caused by settling. Any fix that you try will not be permanent until that settling issue is corrected. You can tape the effected area and try drywall compound but I am unsure it will hold without cracking again. If the cracks developed prior to the foundation work then maybe it will.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post