DIY Message Boards
Local home salvage/recycle centers

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/2173980477

Sep 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
Valisbourne
Local home salvage/recycle centers
Good day all!

I've been trying to find areas around my neck of the woods (W. Tn here) for places that recover and recycle/reuse things like tubs, toilets, etc...

Searches online keep bringing me up with auto salvage places, so either there aren't that many places out there (locally) or I'm just searching for them in the wrong manner.

What I'm looking for is advice in how to go about finding said place! Thanks!
Sep 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
redoverfarm
Google "salvaged building material in TN"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,
Sep 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
Valisbourne
Sorry, got distracted browsing some of the sites that pulled up before responding.

I'm half guessing I'm going to have to go town to town and physically look. Down in Camden there's an Allgoods that is fairly nice for recycled stuff, but I'm not pulling it up when I do a search for things either. (the 'salvaged building material in tn' but did pull up more that was directly related to what I'm looking for though! Thanks. Smile )
Sep 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
GardenSprite
There's an organization titled GreenCycle which allows people in various areas to connect and share information on recycled items. Qualification: When I found the above link I was surprised to see that it seemed to focus only on ink cartridges, but if I recall correctly GreenCycle originally had a much broader base of recycled items.

Perhaps it's narrowed its focus, but perhaps I'm not absolutely sure of the name of the organization I discovered years ago. You could search under "Recycling facilities", or "recycling organizations or groups" ...something like that.

I did get these hits for Tennessee Recycling Organizations

There's no guarantee anyone would be recycling bathroom items, but it's worth a try.

You could also post an ad on Craig's List, but be prepared for a wide variety of responses, including possibly some folks who'd want you to remove the fixtures yourself. Never know what you'll find on Craigs List.

Habitat for Humanity I believe has a store with recycled items. Check for one in your area.

You might not be having luck because of the specific search parameters.

I tried Recycling Bath Fixtures in Tennesse and got a number of hits, some of which actually sound legitimate.

I'm curious though - what are your plans for these fixtures if you do find some? Are you a vintage remodeler?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 AM
Sparky617
Try Architectural Salvage in West Tennessee.

https://www.facebook.com/ArchitecturalSalvage

http://www.docsarchitecturalsalvage.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hailey...g-material-nashville

The complete search.

http://www.search.ask.com/web?...st+tennessee&gct=kwd

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Sep 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
GardenSprite
The organization of which I was thinking and wrongly referred to as Greencyle in my earlier post is actually Freecycle

You can search for chapters in your target area on the home page.
Sep 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
Sparky617
I've used Freecycle to get rid of stuff, but I've never found anything useful that I was willing to drive to get. Around here the good stuff gets snagged before the summary email goes out. If you're looking for something you need to get the emails as they come out, which around here can be dozens a day.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Sep 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
Frodo
cal a local plumber and ask if he wants em
i have worked a couple of places that resold old fixtures, there is money in them if there old enough
also for parts...you know how hard it is to get a 1950 style sink to match a 1950 bathtub? or a blue 1970 tank top?

or that 1970 god awful pink bathroom fixture yuck!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Sep 27, 2013, 04:17 PM
GardenSprite
Sparky, your experiences don't surprise me. I took a quick look at some of the requests for my area and was kind of surprised that it seemed like some use Freecycle as a shopping list. Still, if there's a match, fine. But it also wouldn't surprise me that the good stuff goes quickly and lots of junk gets listed just as a means of getting rid of it.
Sep 29, 2013, 10:11 AM
scottca
Habitat for Humanity has a bunch of Restore shops in TN:

http://www.habitat.org/restore...p=&area=TN&province=

Scott
Sep 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sparky617
GS,
One man's trash is another's treasure. I got rid of about 15 years worth of This Old Magazine in 30 minutes via freecycle. They were really nice magazines and I hated to just recycle them. I checked on ebay and there were a bunch for sale without any bids. So I posted them on Freecycle and a woman swept them off my front porch that same day. I've gotten rid of a few things that way, rarely have I had things I couldn't get rid of via Freecycle. I've put out a few requests but never got anything. I was looking for some used deck wood to build some bridges on the mountain bike trails but got nothing.

General Disclaimer

Sep 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
CommonwealthSparky
When you place the sigh on an item out front of an ongoing job with the "F" word it is amazing how fast those said items disappear.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Sep 30, 2013, 05:22 PM
GardenSprite
Sparky617,

Had I been in your area, I might have been rushing over to get those magazines. There's a lot of valuable info in them; I save mine as well.

I suppose sometimes it's hard to guess what might be desirable through various venues.

CommonwealthSparky, "free" does seem to be a good invitation.

I'm going to be potting up probably hundreds of vinca plants but I haven't decided if it's worth it to try to sell them or just turn them into compost.
Oct 31, 2013, 10:57 AM
Valisbourne
I appreciate the advice folks. Smile (yes, I'm slow about getting around to things at this time of year, but I DO get around to them!) I'll be checking out some of this over the next few weeks/months and seeing what I can come up with.

To answer a question earlier, no I'm not a vintage remodeler or any such. I'm just a homeowner who can afford to remodel his house. One room at a time, DIY style (in other words, unless it's electrical, I'm doing it myself. Smile ).

The Mrs and I have been gathering the stuff to redo our 'main/hall' bathroom. I've tracked down a clawfoot, cast iron tub for it... picked up the new toilet and pedestal sink, lighting fixtures, most of the tile I'm going to use (still need to pick up my floor tile), etc.. I still have to get my drywall materials, the underfloor and my cement board, but I'm almost ready to go. I'm hoping to remodel this bathroom in late Dec or early Jan, when I'm stuck inside alot anyway.

As for looking around for places like I asked about, when this bathroom is done, I still have another bathroom to go... as well as a kitchen I want to rework. Then, the easy rooms (which is pretty much the rest of the house, one room at a time). So yeah, looking for bargains on decent stuff that I can use and love old things anyway, hence my search. Smile

I've found Allgoods, down in Camden TN. There are more, I just have to find them. The social networking/forums/etc.. aspect was something I hadn't really considered much, so I'll look into that some too.

Val
Oct 31, 2013, 01:46 PM
GardenSprite
Thanks for the update. It's nice to know how projects are proceeding.