All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Compressor capability
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Compressor capability Sign In/Join 
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted
        Bless her heart, my wife bought a compressor/brad nailer combination set for me for Christmas. It is a Bostich BTFP72665 . The compressor is rated to deliver 150 PSI max; 2.6 SCFM @90PSI.

I'd like to use this compressor to install siding and, rarely framing (of course, I'll need to get another nailer).
        Is the compressor up to the task?
        I can live with recycling that is a little slow (I'm a little slow Big Grin ), but, if it would be painfully slow, I might consider exchanging it.

I'd like to use it if I could, since it was such a nice gift.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 291 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's fine. it's marginal to inadequate for real he-man air tools, but that will run any nailer you come across. surely good enough for a little pint auto paint sprayer, wouldn't know about a HVLP sprayer.

for air tools, much of them require 4.0 SCFM or in the vicinity.

bleed the condensate periodically, and enjoy.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It will work fine with all trim guns but will be a bit stressed when running framing nailers, roofing nailers or flooring nailers.

For those larger guns, it will still work but it will be very easy fir the gun to outpace the compressor. the compressor is actually large enough but it would need more like a 20 gallon tank to keep up. A larger compressor with more output could get by with slightly smaller tank(s).

So it you were a pro with a crew using this than it would not be big enough for those larger guns. However, if you are working at a steady but moderate pace, you could go all day long with your existing compressor. It all boils down to how many nails you are driving in a given time.

If you do average homeowner stuff and rarely need these larger guns, then stick with what you have. However, if you are going to get all Dirty Harry with large nailguns, then you'll need a bigger compressor. So - Are you feeling lucky?

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        That is a pretty, but little, pancake compressor.
        I would opt for something a little larger for projects, other than brad nailing something till the glue dried.

From my experience:
        My Dh used to buy me tools on occasion, and if they were not worthy, I thanked him so much and said I really appreciate his thoughtfulness, but mentioned a project or two that I could do for him....if I traded it for a little different tool. Usually a bit larger, more power, better brand, etc. He was so glad I did this rather than keep what he got me originally. You can still brag on your wife to everyone you know, that she got it for you...after you exchange it. She will be happy and you will probably be happier. But that is just my experience.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks swschrad, Jaybee, and Conrad for your input.

Would this Husky TA-2530B be a better (more versatile) choice?
        It has a lower max PSI (125 vs. 150), but a better CFM (4 CFM @ 90 PSI) than the Bostich.

Thanks again.

Posts: 291 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The thing to do is to check the CFM rate for various guns that you may use. If the gun needs less than what the compressor puts out, then you are good for continuous operation. If the gun needs slightly more, then you can still use it but will need pauses to let it recharge. As this is frequently the case, the tank size can be just as important as the CFM rating.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but, when I check the specs for the nailers I'm interested in, I only see a recommended PSI range (not CFM).

posted Hide Post
        look at SCFM like:

3.0 SCFM @ 40PSI
        5.7 SCFM @ 90PSI
        etc...

Posts: 352 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post