All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    framing for basement wood,metal or both
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

framing for basement wood,metal or both Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Was having conversation with neighbor the other day and he loves metal framing for basement, I like wood but am considering both since I'll be doing thin brick veneer on some walls (top halves) and putting up bead board (wainscoting) also, plus non brick will be good old drywall so with numerous attachment (trim etc.) points needed I'm in a quandary as to best approach....getting ready to order materials.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        metal framing wont warp, twist or be affected by temperature or the humidity you might have in a basement. Nor will it support mold. If you're careful to get metal studs that isn't bent or twisted while in the store or in shipping, you can get an absolutely flat and true wall
        However, you must also figure out where you might hang something heavy on the wall and secure a piece of 1 by across the span of 2 studs as well as put grommets through the stud where electrical, or plumbing might pass
        Metal is also easy to work with.
        Wood is the old standby because most people are comfortable working with it
        They both have advantages and faults

Posts: 2541 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I figured on at least boxing in duct work with metal since its just drywall there but will have some pocket doors and also this (thin) brick on some upper walls, not having done that before I'm not sure about the weight of that and of course closets with shelves. Then attaching chair rail,maybe crown molding etc.... when does blocking for all this exceed benefit of using metal? know I'll still have to block with wood framing but just seems easier. Have never done the metal framing before if you haven't noticed....

posted Hide Post
        Just my opinion...
        Metal framing is a PITA..

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Metal framing is a PITA..

Pretty Interesting To Apply type of material? ??
        Neighbor liked the no dust aspect of metal plus he did straight forward drywall,minimal trim (baseboard,casing doors),.. did I mention he prefers to work on cars (i.e the metal preference) ,.. I'm going with the old t/g beadboard wainscotting (old recycled stuff) and need the nailing areas. He also felt it would never rust,and even nailed metal bottom plate directly on to concrete slab. I've read through another forum's thread with pro's and con's of wood vs metal which wound up turning into an argument over whether women could be firefighters and be strong enough to carry someone out of a burning building, pro's and con's were good and the firefighters verbal donnybrook entertaining and a little "heated".

Pro's and con's????....
        http://www.contractortalk.com/...raming-32191/index2/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,