All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Caulk keeps cracking between crown molding and ceiling...help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Caulk keeps cracking between crown molding and ceiling...help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The ceiling was a bit wavy in our kitchen and there were some gaps (some an inch big) between the crown and the ceiling. I first filled in the huge gaps with joint compound, sanded smooth and then painted it the ceiling color. That worked great for a short time, then a crack developed. I researched a caulk that was the very crack resistant,DAP Dynaflex 230. That lasted for a while until just recently when the weather changed. Now there's cracks along the whole run. I could just add more Dynaflex caulk, or is there something else I could use that would keep me from having to do this every year?

Posts: 1 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Dec 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Any chance that this happens to be a wall that runs through the middle of your house?

Your roof trusses are flexing with the seasonal temperature changes. If you go up into the attic space and look at where the bottom cord of your trusses cross over this wall, I bet you will find the they either were never attached or that the nails have pulled loose.

If this is what you find than you need to attach each truss to the top plate of the wall up in the attic. You can use a Simpson angle bracket or drive a single 6" decking lag through the bottom cord and into the top plate of the wall.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post