DIY Message Boards
Popcorn Ceiling Removal Question

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/1943973008

Jan 11, 2014, 11:09 AM
ScottL
Popcorn Ceiling Removal Question
I recently purchased a home with popcorn ceilings. In the original part of the home there was no asbestos and I have removed the popcorn ceilings. I have an addition that was also tested. Here is the situation: the results came back indicating NO asbestos within the popcorn texture. However, there is 3% Chrysotile within the compound (labeled as tan compound with multi-color paint on the report).

I have gotten an estimate to remove the popcorn. My question is that since the popcorn itself has no asbestos, can I wet the ceiling and remove the popcorn safely? Since I'm leaving the actual drywall in tact would this be safe as long as I put up 1 or 2 layers of plastic to seal off from the rest of the house? I figure I would then prime the ceiling to seal it before adding a texture and priming/painting.

Thanks for any advice!
Jan 11, 2014, 11:39 AM
Sparky617
Another option to consider is to put another layer of drywall on top of the popcorn and leave it in place.

As to whether you need to go full abatement to remove, I won't speculate.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Jan 11, 2014, 12:01 PM
Conrad
I would speculate, that since the popcorn has no asbestos, wetting it down and removal should be no problem.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:56 PM
Masterbuild
quote:
popcorn ceilings

I did my entire house this way and it does get very messy! I read that popcorn texturing is from the 60s and 70s and can contain asbestos so it is worth getting it tested for asbestos. You don't want to be breathing that in.
Jan 29, 2014, 11:18 AM
swschrad
uh, folks chrysotile IS asbestos. dangerous.

Chrysotile has been included with other forms of asbestos, in being considered to be a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)[10] and by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.[1] --wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...#cite_note-11thRoC-1

you need to have a professional asbestos removal service get rid of that stuff. it's apparently not as bad as tremolite asbestos (aka Zonolite), but why take chances with your health 20 to 40 years down the road?

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?