All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Roof repair problems
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Roof repair problems Sign In/Join 
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        As simple cut in the metal that sits on the roof would have aloud you to pull it closer.
        I've never even seen drip cap that wide before.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, when I replaced the sheathing and fascia, I added a 2x6 under the new Azek fascia (1x6 and 1x2). The tops of all of that didn't line up wonderfully. That's one of the areas where working alone hurt me.
        Anyway, I looked for the widest drip edge to help smooth over the top. The drip edge I bought is called F8. It has a 6 inch nailing surface.

BTW. I followed your advice when installing the Azek. I used stainless steel finishing screws and filled the recesses with DAP 230.

Posts: 264 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I don't see any problems from that gap in the drip edge. If you want to 'pretty it up' though you could always add a small section of the new drip edge over the last few inches of the old from the side.

BTW, I just took a little trip down your picture history on this project. While I'm sure we could have knocked it out much faster, I'm guessing that you would be into my company for $15,000 to $18,000 for all that repair.

Jaybee

Posts: 10139 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee. I have been questioning whether or not the results are worth the effort.

Posts: 264 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Now that I'm semiretired I often have to work along.
        To late now, but when I get stick having to install a fascia by myself I tack two scraps of wood to the roof sheathing and one on the end where it need to end up.
        Get on the roof and pull up on it from the middle and hope for the best. Smile
        It can get pretty frustrating trying to do even a simple job like trying to install siding by yourself.
        I'm in the middle of installing 35 sq. of shingles at my own house all by myself. But when done I will have saved $10,000.
        My advantage is I have a huge dump trailer and a tractor with a bucket on it to handle getting the shingles up on the roof and already own all the tools to do the job.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        35 square is a big order for someone working alone.

I like your idea about tacking the scraps of wood to the roof sheathing to help align the tops.

When I had to attach the 1x6 Azek to the 2x6 lumber, I made these jigs to hold up the Azek and give me a consistent 1/2" edge below the 2x6( Jigs used when attaching Azek ).
        The trouble is, though, the top of the 2x6 was already off.

I'll remember to use your tip for aligning the top when I work on the other end of the house in the Spring.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Another tip is when test fitting is to predrill the board and preinstall some decking screws so there already in the board before setting in place.
        Makes it easier to make adjustments, or mark where changes need to be made. Once it's all set then nail it home.

joecaption