All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    susanwo
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

susanwo Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I feel like the my house has taken over. We have been in home for 15 years now, and everything is falling apart. I just found black mold in garage where dryer vent had come undone, garage roof has leak , ect. Where do We start ? i have a bathroom that i started to redecorate but they wallpapered directly on to sheet rock, it's a mess. HELP ? Also I just started watching DIY network and love it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Forks wa | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You have to pick your "battles". Pick where to start and go from there. But I'd solve the mold issue first.

Posts: 881 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Welcome to the real world of home ownership.
        So far in 12 months the TV died, leach field failed, heater went out, and we still need a new roof.

joecaption

Posts: 18004 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Susan, as Re-Mdlr said, prioritize. What's the worst problem you face? Probably the mold because it's a health issue, then the garage leak, because it could become an electrical issue if it leaks onto electrical lines.

Address the safety issues first, leave the decorating issues to later.

And as Joe states, this is the reality of owning a home. It's necessary to keep everything in perspective.

Contact your homeowners' insurance company about the mold and leak issues first. If they're covered, your adjuster will move on these issues quickly.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of lesliemorris85
        posted Hide Post
        For a house with that many problems, I would recommend having a safety inspector check it first before doing any DIY. Have foundations checked as well as any electrical systems that are safety hazards. Most likely, the inspector would be able to come up with a list of which repairs needed to be done first.

Posts: 15 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: Jan 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Safety inspector?
        Why, the homeowner has two maintaince item that need to be fixed.
        Fix the roof first, anything below it will get distroyed if it's not taken care of.

joecaption

Posts: 18004 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post