DIY Message Boards
susanwo

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/1683986967

Apr 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
susanw0
susanwo
I feel like the my house has taken over. We have been in home for 15 years now, and everything is falling apart. I just found black mold in garage where dryer vent had come undone, garage roof has leak , ect. Where do We start ? i have a bathroom that i started to redecorate but they wallpapered directly on to sheet rock, it's a mess. HELP ? Also I just started watching DIY network and love it.
Apr 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
Re-mdlr
You have to pick your "battles". Pick where to start and go from there. But I'd solve the mold issue first.
Apr 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
joecaption
Welcome to the real world of home ownership.
So far in 12 months the TV died, leach field failed, heater went out, and we still need a new roof.

joecaption
Apr 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
GardenSprite
Susan, as Re-Mdlr said, prioritize. What's the worst problem you face? Probably the mold because it's a health issue, then the garage leak, because it could become an electrical issue if it leaks onto electrical lines.

Address the safety issues first, leave the decorating issues to later.

And as Joe states, this is the reality of owning a home. It's necessary to keep everything in perspective.

Contact your homeowners' insurance company about the mold and leak issues first. If they're covered, your adjuster will move on these issues quickly.
Apr 16, 2013, 10:10 PM
lesliemorris85
For a house with that many problems, I would recommend having a safety inspector check it first before doing any DIY. Have foundations checked as well as any electrical systems that are safety hazards. Most likely, the inspector would be able to come up with a list of which repairs needed to be done first.
Apr 17, 2013, 07:08 AM
joecaption
Safety inspector?
Why, the homeowner has two maintaince item that need to be fixed.
Fix the roof first, anything below it will get distroyed if it's not taken care of.

joecaption