All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    framing in old garage door
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

framing in old garage door Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am framing in an old garage door to make a den but need to know how to best seal sill plate to concrete pad to keep rain and moisture from seeping under.

Posts: 1 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am NOT a licensed and bonded professional.

but I've taken quite a liking to polyurethane caulk against concrete. seems to be secure against UV, matches the color, and is elastic so the bond doesn't break in temperature and water changes.

what I'd do is drill for expansion bolts to hold the sill, put on total eye protection, and blow the holes clear. set the bolts. test fit the sill, lay tape on the concrete both sides about a quarter inch either side of the sill. goop the board and goop the concrete. set the board, walk it to lightly seat the caulk -- or alternatively if there is wane or warp, loosely tighten the compression bolts. lightly dress the ooze-out to the tape with a disposeable putty knife, pull the tape, and walk away for 24 hours.

then tighten the bolts to lock the sill in, and build up from there.

this assumes you are using blue wood or dried AC2 in contact with the ground. no other need apply. wet AC2 from the lumberyard stack will not bond to the adhesive, it would have to sun dry for at least a couple months, and if you didn't select straight-grain clear wood from the pile, it would warp badly.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5506 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you have any exposed slab on the outside and especially if that slab is at or below grade, then it is going to leak. No caulk on earth will stop the water from coming in.

The whole trick it to make your slab higher than the surrounding ground - which in your case will be to grade back from the slab edge. Before you frame in the new wall, cut the slab back so that there is no overhang of slab outside to direct water under the new wall.

Jaybee

Posts: 10137 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post