All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    replacement window installation
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

replacement window installation Sign In/Join 
        posted
        i am installing replacement windows inoutside wall on enclosed porch (double hung vinyl) i got a good deal on 4 new, i want to install as if they are new construction minus the installation fins found on new construction windows. i would like to know any tips or tiricks to do the installatio, just a note i will be vinyl siding the outside afterwards, any ideas would be helpful thanks jim

Posts: 166 | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        What is your reason for not wanting to use the nailing fins?

On vinyl windows, the nailing fins are how you attach them. Since you are going to be installing new vinyl siding later anyway, there is no reason not to use the fins. If you got the correct windows (those made to go with vinyl siding) then you will notice that the vinyl "brick molding" that is a part of the window already has a recessed groove. This groove is were the vinyl siding will fit so that it is trimmed out.

Installation is simple: Align the window in the RO, nail in place through the fins, add your siding.

Jaybee

Posts: 10469 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I too have a doubt in installing replacement vinyl windows. Is that necessary to replace the inside moldings(tops) along with others or can we use the existing?

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: Nov 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Christy, please go back and add your own post.
        It gets way to confusing trying to ansewer two differant peoples questions at the same time.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I agree 100% with the other poster.
        Other then you got a "deal" why would you do it that way?
        Using a real new constrution window with the built in J moulding is by far the best and easyest way.
        Second would be new constrution with a nailing fin.
        Third would be a replacement window and have the outside trim wraped in coil stock.
        If I understand your idea, correctly that window is far more likly to leak.
        Not just guessing here, many times I've seen where customers tryed to save money and bought used, replacement, or wrong sized window and tryed to make them work.
        Most end up have to spend far more for all the repairs needed because of water getting in.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        New replacement windows usually come with nailing fins which you need to use as an outer surface especially if you plan to have vinyl siding installed eventually. Any particular reason why you don’t want to use the nailing fin? It'll actually help to anchor the windows firmly in place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DIYAdmin2,

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        James I suggest you go go back and edit your post to read "new constrution windows" not new replacement windows.
        Replacement windows do not have nailing fins. They come with flat jambs so they can be installed inside the old jambs.

joecaption

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, good retort!

"jameswilson7" is just another incarnation of the recent plague of spammers - no wonder he doesn't understand the technical issues of windows. Anyone who checks his posts can see the similarity of language and "style" of posting, as well as the attempt to bring forward old posts which have already been answered.

I still wonder why the Admins don't delete these posts?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        frankly, I think they have one site admin, who is not, how do I say this, really working from home.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have also installed vinyl windows Toronto and its just working perfectly for me. I think you should contact a good vinyl window technician for your query.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KevinRoss,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with the previous members commenting on this. The vinyl windows are easy to install using the fins and the recessed groove the window already has. Anyways you can look into manuals for instructions or websites. There's a website that gives you tips on how to install windows yourself (if you type it in the search bar) armchair builder , also you can get someone from the manufacturing company to help you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LowellOrtiz,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post