All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    How do I make this platform bed
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How do I make this platform bed Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,
        I saw a platform bed online and instantly liked it. My search both online and in stores did not help.

Here is the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t...lditalic/8456418351/

Is there any way I could make it myself. I went to my local home depot and the wood there wasn't smooth. I also don't want to mess up my sleeping place. Any help would be great!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jayasimhan,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the wood was not smooth !! that why they make and sell sandpaper .

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The bed is made from all 1x material - 1x8, 1x6 and some 1x4. You'll want to buy a clear grade - for the look of the one in the picture it will be poplar or perhaps a clear #1 pine.

The clear grades of 1x are reasonably smooth - they are sold at what's called s4s, meaning that all four sides are planed smooth. You'll still have to sand edges and any cuts but the main surface of wood of this grade will just need a light sanding.

You'll also need some screws and glue and a clear poly to seal everything. You are looking at about $150 in wood costs, with another $20 in glue and screws. You'll need a saw for cross cuts (ideally a circular saw), a jig saw for those rounded corners, a drill for driving screws and pre-drilling holes and a brush to apply the sealer.

All in all a fairly easy project for even a beginning DIYer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10132 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybees reply was spot on. and I'll add some shortcuts to make the job even easier
        After you cut all the parts, but before you sand and finish them, dry fit them, including the screws.
        Mark every place where you intend to glue and mark each pieces location in relation to each other.
        Disassemble , and sand and finish each piece except where the glue will go
        When everything is dry and finished to your satisfaction, glue and reassemble, making sure that each piece is where you marked it. this will make putting in the screws easier
        Get your mattress and take a nap
        Good job , well done

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        That's a bed?
        Looks like a torture device to me.
        If you do not have a bad back now you soon will after laying on that bed.

joecaption

Posts: 17998 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post