All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Blown Fiberglass or Cellulose in Attic?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Blown Fiberglass or Cellulose in Attic? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We are having a new roof put on next month. It is currently the original 1978 roof of spanish tile with no decking or paper. We are going with lightweight concrete tile with plywood decking and double underlayment. At the same time we are having them take out the old blown-in insulation and blow in new insulation to R38. The roofing company blows in Owens Corning AttiCat fiberglass insulation. Any opinions on this product?

I was leaning towards blown-in cellulose because there are suppose to be less health issues compared to fiberglass. In the future I will also need to do some work in the attic putting in a couple of ceiling fans and running some electrical wires so I didn't want to go digging through a bunch of scratchy, itchy fiberglass. However, in the showroom they have a display of the AttiCat insulation and it looks like pink cellulose. I picked it up in my bare hands and rubbed it on my arms and there was no discomfort afterwards.

So is the AttiCat blown-in insulation a different animal than the blown-in fiberglass insulation I've read about? Should I get someone else that uses cellulose to blow in the attic insulation?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kenmichelle,

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post