DIY Message Boards
HVAC framing clearance

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/1433929967

Apr 21, 2013, 08:31 AM
Shek
HVAC framing clearance
I've tried searching code to see if there's any explicit distance that you have to set your framing off of your HVAC. My HVAC draws and exhausts its air directly from/to the outside, so that's not an issue. The local inspector is saying 18" is the minimum setup, but I'd like to push that in to 12". My doors will extend beyond the unit so that there's easy access to front and sides for maintenance and down the road, replacement. Does the IRC state anything explicit (understanding that local codes will trump)? Thanks.
Apr 21, 2013, 01:46 PM
Sparky617
My unit is tight against the wall of the stairs. It is accessible from the front and sides. My house was built to code in 1999 and is in the USA if that helps.

The unit is a high efficiency gas fired forced air unit.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Apr 21, 2013, 04:57 PM
Jaybee
Most of the stuff we do is good for zero clearance as long as there is access for maintenance.

However, it really doesn't matter what any of us here will tell you - Codes will vary by locality. If your local code inspector says that you need to have 18" clear, that you are done. He has the final say. You can try to ask for a change but don't count on it.

Jaybee
Apr 21, 2013, 09:06 PM
Sparky617
Excellent point Jay.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Apr 23, 2013, 07:01 PM
Shek
Thanks for the help. I finally came across Section M3105 in the IRC which seems to address my question, although there may be a superseding local code and I'll be sure to make sure I'm in synch with the local inspector. Thanks again.