All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    siding ideas
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

siding ideas Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I replaced an old deck with a smaller deck. This created a problem with the vinyl siding on the house. There's about 2 sections, 10' long on each side of the door. So maybe 4 pieces of siding if I could get my hands on it, which of course I can't. The existing siding is at least 15 years old so there's a color problem; and when I looked at the vinyl siding in the big box stores the top strip (where you would nail) looks different so I assume the new and old won't snap together.
        Basically I'm looking for ideas on what to do with this bottom bit of exterior wall. I'm thinking of just moving up the starting strip to where the intact vinyl siding ends and then....facing it with some sort of easily applied stone looking product? just attaching some wood siding (T1-11?) and painting it to match? shingles? ....? The existing siding was just attached to some sort of plywood, no wrap; not sure if that makes a difference in my choices.

Posts: 4 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You could replace the exposed area with a totally different product like the T1-11 or faux stone but don't give up on the siding so quickly. You need to realize that for many products - like vinyl siding - that big box stores have a very limited selection. Google your area for siding suppliers. There is a good chance that you can still find the same 15 year old siding. The color may be off, but the difference will fade in time.

Jaybee

Posts: 10094 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Posting a picture of what your trying to do would be a big help.
        You need to take a sample of the siding to some real siding suppliers not a box store.
        Look in the Yellow pages for some that are local.
        It can be a pain to try an match up old siding because there, different grains on the surface, at least 4 different profile styles, 4 different widths and dozens of different colors, but most of the time I can find something that matches close enough.
        Or I can remove some from another part of the home to do the repair and use the newer stuff on a part of the house where it's not going to be seen as much.

joecaption

Posts: 17984 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post