All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    What to do with basement floor vapor barrier and HVAC
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What to do with basement floor vapor barrier and HVAC Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am looking for advice on how to handle the subfloor with my basement remodel. I am planning to have the furnace and hot water heater in a closet in the finished area of the basement. I am planning to use the Dricore florring system down there as a subfloor to act as a vapor barrier but my issue is what do I do about the closet where the furnace will be? By code and possibly by weight you can't put furnace and hot water heater on the dricore, and I feel like that all the moisture from the rest of the basement will then be funneled under the dricore directly into the closet where the furnace is negating having any vapor barrier at all.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I would not even worry about this. First off, if the basement slab was made correctly, then there should be a vapor barrier underneath the concrete. This will take care of most moisture problems.

However, no matter if you do or do not have a barrier under the slab, having a furnace and water heater contained within a closet space will keep that portion of the slab dry. Whatever small amount of moisture could come through the slab will be dried by the heat and air flow of both those units.

Jaybee

Posts: 10137 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hey,
        I am working on a research about people's motivations for do-it-yourself wood projects. Please, could you participate in this short survey? Thank you!
        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QXQZBZ6

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by DMF2007:
        Hey,
        I am working on a research about people's motivations for do-it-yourself wood projects. Please, could you participate in this short survey? Thank you!
        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QXQZBZ6

Don't expect any response from such a vague solicitation without any details on you, intent, purpose, or other relevant information.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post