All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    flueless outdoor gas fireplace
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

flueless outdoor gas fireplace Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello to all,

Wanted to see if anyone has ever built or installed a flueless gas fireplace outside? we are doing a summer kitchen and this was suggested.

The potential GC stated:

- a lot less mess than w wood in the summer kitchen area using real wood with ashes, clean-up, etc
        - lower cost bc the you do not have to build a [higher] chimney.
        - you get all the heat bc none escapes out the flue
        - ease of use

one thing for sure, there is nothing like a real fire, but if this is the way to go, I could always build a fire-pit in/near the pool area to burn real wood.

Thank you and I do appreciate your experience and advice.

Happy Easter to all,
        tstex

Posts: 371 | Registered: Jun 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The biggest single flaw with flueless gas fireplaces is that they generate huge amounts of moisture. Since you are looking at an outside install, this will not be a factor.

Beyond that, my only gripe is that there is not very much 'real' about it. It looks good, but you don't get a realistic feeling that it's really burning in there. Sure, you'll get heat off of it via vents. Up to you to decide if realism is important.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you Jaybee.

I too am wrestling w "the real" vs not. Since there are no safety or mechanical issues, this is going to come down to preference and cost.

Happy Easter to All,
        tstex

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        How difficult would it be for your day to day routine if it was a real wood burning fireplace? Do you have a source of firewood and a place to stack it?

I've always thought that the best of both worlds (easy and realistic) is a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter.

BTW - My invitation for the big pool party must have been lost in the mail as I never got it. Big Grin

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        We have 85 acres 65 miles WNW of our house, so I have TONS of firewood. Stacking would be done in the garage and I would bring enough out for each burn...nothing like a real fire.

Re the party, should have everything done in the July-Aug timeframe...I'll send out the invites then. The person that travels the farthest will get the best seat in the house. Smile

posted Hide Post
        I have a vent gas fireplace in our family room. While I like the look of a real fire, dealing with the wood, the ash, the chimney cleanings etc is more than I care to do. Around here termites can be a real problem, so wood storage becomes an issue. The other benefit with gas, in your outdoor environment is no blowing smoke to deal with. I get my fill of wood fires camping with the Scout troop.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 891 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post