DIY Message Boards
Attaching false drawer fronts

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/1003936967

Apr 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hutch45
Attaching false drawer fronts
Well my bathroom vanity project is coming along just fine. I'm at the point of where I need to attach false drawer fronts to the front of the vanity. I would like to attach them with screws coming through the vanity frame from the inside of the vanity into the false front. However, I looked at the one is our bathroom (the one I'm using as a model) and notice that they have attached it by putting a small board over the opening on the inside of the vanity and driving a screw through it and into the false drawer front. Kinda making it like a vise on the vanity frame. I believe this is to allow for the expansion/contraction of the wood in the false front but I've stained and sealed the complete false front so I'm not sure if it will expand/contract. Which way should I go?
Apr 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
nona
the reason for the small board is so the false front can be adjusted in any direction to center it. Once it is centered the screw is tightened. It would have no effect on expansion or contraction
Apr 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
swschrad
nona's got it right. if you had pretty drawer fronts on actual drawers, initial hold is usually done by longer screws into the knobs/pulls. at which point you line up the drawer fronts to be square and level, along the painters tape you placed there, right? then pull it carefully out halfway, set in a drywall or galvanized drywall screw or two, belly the assembly up on your gut, and drive those permanent fasteners in.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?