All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  New Shows    Garage Gold
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Garage Gold Sign In/Join 
        Picture of sneakers
        posted
        Does anyone else find themselves wondering if this guy's business merely exists for this program? It doesn't look lucrative at all.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        He's local to me, though I never heard of him before the show. He has to be doing more garages than appear on DIY, though last night they must have had 4 episodes back to back so they are creating a lot of them. So my guess would be he has to be making money in this business without the TV show, and I would hope they get some money out of doing the show.

It was good to see them return the trophy to the Cleveland Browns rather than trying to sell it. That was an impressive find.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 852 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Just another version of that storage war "reality" show. You know the one. When they open up the door and find 2 broken kitchen table chairs, an air hockey game, a couple of worn snow tires and a long lost Rembrandt. Happens everyday in real life methinks.
        Nice entertainment, just not for me. If others like it that is fine as well.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of sneakers
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        It was good to see them return the trophy to the Cleveland Browns rather than trying to sell it. That was an impressive find.

Yeah, I thought that was extraordinary.Very extraordinary. I would have wanted to get the trophy back to the Browns, give them first crack at buying it.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        Just another version of that storage war "reality" show. You know the one. When they open up the door and find 2 broken kitchen table chairs, an air hockey game, a couple of worn snow tires and a long lost Rembrandt. Happens everyday in real life methinks.
        Nice entertainment, just not for me. If others like it that is fine as well.

CS,
        At least the guy on Garage Gold isn't bidding on the junk. I've surfed past Storage Wars and don't see the appeal, Garage Gold caught my eye because it is local to me. The other night they had a marathon on and 1.5 shows was all I could handle, especially since I don't DVR it and would need to sit through the commercials.

My wife and I caught an episode of Alton Brown's Cut Throat Kitchen on Food the other night. I liked Alton's "Good Eats" shows and met him once in Durham but Cut Throat doesn't do it for me. The cut throat game takes away from the skills of the chefs involved. The entire Scripts Howard world is getting away from what made them, they may be doing better ratings wise with the 25-40 set but they certainly aren't attracting my eyeballs.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 852 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by sneakers:
        quote:

Yeah, I thought that was extraordinary.Very extraordinary. I would have wanted to get the trophy back to the Browns, give them first crack at buying it.

It would have been good for the Browns organization to offer them a reward for their efforts. But, I don't think I could have sold it.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
        another twist on Sanford and Son. second-hand shops may be the world's third oldest profession.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of sneakers
        posted Hide Post
        After four shows, I'm getting tired of the pattern. It looks grim at first, what with nothing but junk and not even half the expenses paid for. And then they find stuff to make the whole transaction worthwhile. Also, it's easy to see it's not being run in sequence. trumped-up hooey. If not, that truck magically empties its contents for shots taken after a lot of items had been already been loaded.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Surely you're not working under the impression that reality TV is real - are you?

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it's TV Magic! (tm) this is how a 3-month remodel gets done in 22 minutes.

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Surely you're not working under the impression that reality TV is real - are you?

Those shows always list a writer in the closing credits, wondering what they write. A script perhaps.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        CS, I'm convinced that "multiple choice" scripts are used for some of the programs. I guess that's what the script writers "write."

If you've ever watched HGTV House Hunters episodes, you'll know that many of the so-called deficiencies or complaints by prospective buyers fall in similar categories, such as kitchen complaints (but this doesn't apply to the HH International episodes, which generally feature a different type of purchaser):

(a) "outdated"
        (b) doesn't have stainless steel appliances
        (c) too small
        (d) wife/GF doesn't like the cupboard style, or the cupboard door knobs or something similarly trivial.

I've never heard anything substantive, such as there's no vent fan for the gas stove, not enough space above a stove and between cabinets to use canning equipment, no windows close to the stove to use for ventilation or to cool freshly baked pies, etc.

Multiple choice scripts probably save some money on scripting and avoid having the guests think up substantive or original comments. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's not so much scripting but more like a 'shopping list' of things that need to be said on camera. Once they have several choices of things like that then all all the "scripting" is done via editing.

All the many things that happen that are not going to be a part of the final cut story line might as well never even existed as far as a viewer is concerned - you'll never know it was there.

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        we hearken back to the days of geniune flexible oops-I-scratched-it good ol' FILM. in TV news, use to cut ratio was 10 or 20 to one, and for field production where you were not just shooting to use as is, could be five times higher (fishing shows, talent shows, stuff like that.)

you have no idea the volume of trash can that was in just a plain old 100th-market TV outfit. someplace like a production house, by the time you clear out the outtakes you were saving, it was dumpsters full.

as I helped lead the transition to videotaped news, we could now shoot until we killed three or four sets of batteries. the amount of krep left on the field tapes was insane. this is how they shoot DIY project shows, try for as many angles as you can get, shoot the must haves, don't fail to bring back bridge shots you can drop in anyplace as a optical "later that month..." slide or you get the axe.

a big job, like a House of Bryan or a Rehab Addict, is cases and cases of tapes. all told, there are maybe 3 or 4 hours of on-air tape at most from 2 or 3 months of shooting.

that's your "22 minute TV remodel."

at least you can reuse videotape. 35mm film cost alone in color negative of maybe $50 for 3 minutes... you would not be seeing these shows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I know that 'back in the day' a typical three-day shoot would generate about 35 hours of video. All that for a final cut of 20 to 22 minutes. With the current 'documentary' style of shooting that is less, but still there is 30X to 40X of video shot vs what is used.

Jaybee