All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  New Shows    Renovation realities ?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Renovation realities ? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I love watching this show...
        But sometimes I have to wonder, are these really "realities" ????
        Can people really be that dumb ?
        A couple who does a total kitchen reno, without a plan, and just "wings it" ( His words
        Seriously ?

I am by no means the perfect DIYer, but what some of these people do is just ridiculous.
        And they agree to do it in front of a nationwide audience to boot....

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I cannot vouch for all the RR homeowners out there but I've seen many homeowners with exactly the same mindset you describe. Since they don't know the complete process to follow in a remodel, they often will just start tearing things out and going from there.

That's one reason why you often see that my best DIY advice on these boards is to skip the DIY process and hire a pro.

Jaybee

Posts: 10099 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have half a notion that the video crew saves a ton of those remodels with a little offhand suggestion here and there... Wink

I've done a whole lot of stuff that was totally foreign to me. presently putting the dashboard back into my car, piece by piece, after having to demo it to get to a $25 controller for the hot/cold temp selector door. winter's coming. hard to drive in 10 below with no heat, and that windshield fogging with every breath.

but the way you would think a sensible person would do it would be to hit the web and accumulate some information. find best practices. get and read the manuals as availiable. if possible, like when I taught myself door and drawer making, buy junk wood first and practice on that until I had figured it out.

funny thing is these folks on RR have to submit their ideas to the show, get picked out of some thousand(s), get vetted before they get scheduled. and months later on day one, the lights go on, and it's "duhhh, well, yeah, we figger on tearing out the back wall and doubling the house. $2000. three days. can't miss any work, ya know. if we work quick enough so nobody sees us, we don't need no permits."

at that point, it's sinful entertainment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5479 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Has not this show been renamed and rebroadcast as something new ? Wink

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1392 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by CommonwealthSparky:
        Has not this show been renamed and rebroadcast as something new ? Wink

You'd think so but the "reality" is that reality renovation shows have a grand attraction to keeping those two words in their titles.

Jaybee

Posts: 10099 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Most if not all "reality" shows always post a credit for the writer[s] of the show. Kinda removes the reality of the show.... Big Grin
        And most if not all know the "man behind the curtain" is more real than the show. But it is Hollywood idea, not Main St. America, they are pretending to portray.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1392 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post