All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  New Shows    Rehab Addict: Terrible/Incompetent
        Page 1 2 3 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Rehab Addict: Terrible/Incompetent Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So I've never posted before, but tonight I saw a new show: Rehab Addict, and it was so laughably bad I had to come on and finally post.

This woman, does not have a clue what she is doing, and I live in the neighborhoods in St. Paul where she is doing her "work."

I just watched her completely hack job the stripping and refinishing of woodwork. She then "refinished" a hardwood floor without having the crew pull the water stains out. Then she "reglazed" an old window by messily just globbing DAP onto the glass and sloshing away at it with a giant mudding tool, getting it all over.

Then there was a clear structural issue in a few spots which she basically just glossed over and hid. This was before her crew sealed a socket into the wall behind sheet-rock, and they had to ask if there was a switch?

Then she took an old dresser and instead of repairing the veneer she just left part of it off, and part on, making a complete mess out of the glue while she did it.

Then I watched her use a nail gun to surface nail without pre-drilling through a hardwood railing ornament.

I mean.....this woman is just clueless. Get her off the air, and stop her from doing half-a** hack job renovations on these homes. Disgusting.

If any of you have rehab ambitions, watch this show, and then do the opposite of what she does.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ascent,

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        First, the folks who program the shows don't read these boards, so they won't get your message.

Secondly, there are some pros here who've been involved with tv shows and have industry specific knowledge on the structuring of these types of shows. There are a lot more considerations than just what's aired in the programs.

Not saying that's good or bad, but I've learned a lot about why things are done the way they are from reading their posts.

Third, I think Nicole's appeal has something to do with other than her building and remodeling skills.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Indeed the host of Rehab Addict was not chosen for her abilities to rehab, because she is terrible at it. After watching 2 of the shows, I refuse to watch anymore. The host is whinny, not very knowledgeable about construction, and just plain unlikeable.

DIY constantly advertises this show, which indicates that it has a poor following, plus it's annoying. DIY please do us all a favor and replace this show with something that is interesting to watch.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Godfrey Daniels! -- negative people today.

First off, I've met her on site, and she's focussed, not nasty. it's also her own money on the line, she's not getting a lot of promotional consideration, as it's called, from vendors.

I have a couple quibbles about a few processes, although I have stained over a varnished door to cover cat and construction oopsies, wiped it down, revarnished, and it works well. trick is to wipe the stain off wet so you don't try covering over an unstable surface.

you may not have noticed that all the heavy work is done by pros and inspected... rarely do you see inspectors on a show, that doesn't get filmed.

overall, Nicole's flips appear to me pretty solid. I always have issues with this or that thing being done in, shall we say, a non-Holmes fashion. have had to redo a few 3am projects myself in the light of day.

the show was designed around Nicole's desire to get tumbledown classic old homes away from the bulldozer and get owner-occupants into them to save creaky neighborhoods. her passion for period details is what got the producers to shoot a test and pitch it 5 years ago. this is a unique view on the tube. it has attracted a cadre of fans which agitate for more, and that's probably why they promo the snot out of it.

I live in the greater Twin Cities area, and am a little more informed as a result on the workings of that particular producer and their programs. I do not have any ties to them. if you are going to do a project based on anything you see on TV, you should always surf around and determine best practices, check city hall for any permit and contractor requirements, and get your inspections. don't take your advice from Larry the Cable Guy, there must be a reason he's constantly fighting heartburn Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5771 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Got to enjoy those tank tops for sure, said it before and will say it again.
        I did get a chuckle out of a line on a rerun, when Nicole said she would be in big trouble if money issues are not solved in 60 days. Now that is problem most tradesmen would like to have. Big Grin
        The episodes do show much more hands on "why & how to do" with what ever trade is being preformed. A tip of the hat to that. As well as stressing the importance of updating all systems or trades to current codes, something most shows gloss over. Or just plain ignore totally. More than almost shows being aired today. One of the few shows I can & will sit through from start to finish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Given Nichole's attractiveness, she doesn't necessarily need to be competent. Viewer support can be just as much about eye candy (and tank tops Big Grin ) as about competence, sadly or not.

My take on her approach, however, is that her uniqueness is that she rescues old dilapidated houses from the wrecking ball. She doesn't "rehab" houses or yards and fill with high end impractical and ridiculous stuff like Vanilla Ice. It's her attitude on renovation that's important.

I do think she's somewhat of a victim of her looks, though, as the programmers put her in positions of minimizing her skills and make her sometimes appear as a dumb blonde, cf. one time when she couldn't start her motorcycle.

I will say though that I would never want her near my trees with her chain saw. In one episode she took down a tree improperly and it hit the side of a building. Perhaps it was just "for show", but chain saws and trees are nothing to play with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        I don't think the "dumb blonde" aspect is played up, everybody is just letting the real life aspects show as they happen.

as for chain saws... I will never forget the program (I think Renovation Realities) in which a neophyte in California took a chain saw out of the rental box and started buzzing a scrub tree next to a chain link fence. once the chain touched the fence fabric, it (darn) near cut his head off. missed by inches, and gave him a tattoo he'll always cover up on his left shoulder.

no protection of course other than jeans.

now THAT's incompetent. all tools can be deathtraps.

you have been warned, now go out to play.

Posts: 5771 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would like to a more concerned effort on the dangers of lead paint. As all the work on the show done with recycled items. That cheap 95 cent dust mask is about as useful a Mr. Coffee filter. But most shows are guilty of this. Maybe by skirting the issue they feel not libel when the information is presented but wrongly put into use by viewers.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        When it comes to lead paint, a TV show has only two options - completely ignore the fact that there is lead paint there or not work on that particular project. It is 100% impossible for a TV show crew to remain in compliance with the current lead paint laws.*

It would take a special kind of stupid to violate the RRP lead paint laws and then document and publicize that fact to millions on the air. Once you factor in the time-frame of the violations that happen during taping and the documentation shown when it airs at least several months later, the minimum fines would be in the multiple millions of dollars.

*Then again, it is 100% impossible for ANYONE to remain in compliance with the current RRP lead paint laws - but that's a whole 'nother argument.

Jaybee

Posts: 10345 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        What I think is more obvious is the questionable handling of fiberglass insulation. I've watched more than one DIY show on which workers were not wearing masks and were bare handling the insulation.

posted Hide Post
        hear, hear. salvaged a bunch of old hospital ceiling tile one fine day, and in the opthamalagist's office the next for a cornea scratch from the loose fiberglass mat that made up the back of the tile.

I have seen Nicole Curtis use a lead test swab on the show.

this says nothing about all the layers of white lead underneath, of course. stripper is safe, assuming you have a nor'easter blowing from your back to your front to get rid of the fumes from that liver-eating mess. sanding, not so much on an older house.

and with modern paints, the body of the paint is formed from silica, in some years mica, or ceramic nanoparticle microspheres. none of which is the fountain of youth when inhaled.

heck, sand enough plain old wood, and you can develop autoimmune issues.

ventilation and respirators, folks. they're not just for breakfast any more. you can make a respirator fit, a mask, not so much. you see masks because, hey, they're widely stocked, and not $30 and up apiece.

I was ecstatic to find some good can filters for my AO respirator online a couple years ago, and bought a bunch. everybody has gone to the drop-in pad style, and I have my doubts that they seal out as well. paid ten bucks each. have a guard on them.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You're correct on the issue of respirator vs. masks. I used the latter term without thinking, and sometimeis use it interchangeably with "respirator".

My point was that those guys on the shows had nothing on their face or hands for protection. Heck, I've even seen that on TOH as well.

I think my respirator seals pretty tightly; I'm almost claustrophobic when I have it on Frown. And I hate wearing the darn thing but it's safer than nothing.

Maybe if someone made respirators that released a chocolate fragrance when worn it would be easier to tolerate. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
        I too saw an episode when NC tested a interior newel post for lead using the swab method. And all was good so then the work started. If life were that easy. {Nice start but the house's we work in get a test or two in every room where work is done in}. But in actually those houses on the show are so tore up lead testing would be impossible or next to it. Where exactly is your starting point?
        And yes those lead regs are a joke but federal government does strive to create more jobs, as in the lead abatement circle. But I have preached that sermon more than once before, sorry about that. Just like to see a wee bit more common sense about that issue on TV shows.
        Heck, as a young lad we installed fiberglass insulation ranch houses by the scores for a contract/builder. Never a mask nor eyewear or even gloves in sight. What the heck did we know? Not much I guess.
        PS: Not that I insulate much these days but a certain company with the initials J_M produces a white fiberglass insulation that is amazing to work with. Disclainer: No I do not directly own any stock in Johns Manville Corp. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        When it comes to lead paint, a TV show has only two options - completely ignore the fact that there is lead paint there or not work on that particular project. It is 100% impossible for a TV show crew to remain in compliance with the current lead paint laws.*

It would take a special kind of stupid to violate the RRP lead paint laws and then document and publicize that fact to millions on the air. Once you factor in the time-frame of the violations that happen during taping and the documentation shown when it airs at least several months later, the minimum fines would be in the multiple millions of dollars.

*Then again, it is 100% impossible for ANYONE to remain in compliance with the current RRP lead paint laws - but that's a whole 'nother argument.

=====================================================
        I agree 100%. I just wonder aloud as to how a TV show can not address the issue to the extent that we have to do in the course of work. Heck I've been certified for 10 years or so from my last abatement class. So this is not like it has just fallen from the skies above. But I think that congress has cut funding for this issue, thus leaving this up to the states to continue.

posted Hide Post
        "Divide by ZERO, and what do you get?"

my present budget for the back yard/patio/deck Razz

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        CS, If I remember correctly, Johns Manville was one of the corporations whose legal team pioneered the use of Ch. 11 reorganization filings to control its exposure to asbestos. That was a long, long time ago though. Unique strategy.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Well, I will say this about myself: I wear safety glasses. Always. Keep them in a pouch on my dashboard in the truck right next to one that holds my sunglasses. The routine is the same - drive up, put it in park, put on the safety glasses and get out. It's to the point that it feels 'funny' to exit the truck without safety glasses on - I even wear them when just doing estimates.

Face masks - Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Probably should wear them more than I do but if the humidity is wrong then they tend to fog up the safety glasses! Insulation is one area where I do wear a mask - inhale too much of that stuff and you have a day-long coughing fit.

Other protection - not so much. Especially for fiberglass insulation. For whatever reason, the stuff just doesn't bother me. Maybe I have small pores or maybe it's that I have massive amounts of hair on my arms and legs but fiberglass insulation just doesn't bother me. Some of my guys will only handle insulation while wearing full coveralls, I'll work with it all day long wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

A decade ago, the TV shows were real sticklers for safety practices. You could not get a shot of a table saw without a guard in place past edit on DIY. Safety glasses were a must for just about any kind of construction. Gloves, tucked-in shirts, tied back hair if long were all standards that had to be followed to make it on air. I think one reason that those practices are no longer the 'rule' has to do with the fact that how-to shows are no longer set up as a real how-to teaching program. Once the focus of the shows became more of a 'why-to' or a wow factor, all the safety practices seemed out of context.

Jaybee

Posts: 10345 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes eye protection is a must. And it is very true that wearing them just becomes part of your work day. Force of habit, maybe? Very good indeed.
        Fiberglass instillation never bothered me either. I could chug along all day and would know that a bit of itch would be present, but a quick shower after work and all would be well. But I have worked along guys who looked like the tumbled into a bramble bush after about a half hour of exposure.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        CS, If I remember correctly, Johns Manville was one of the corporations whose legal team pioneered the use of Ch. 11 reorganization filings to control its exposure to asbestos. That was a long, long time ago though. Unique strategy.

Federal judges do love compromise, do they not? Lawyers {there is the L word again}, judges and a cash settlement to a class action suit keeps America on course.

posted Hide Post
        took Manville a long time to blaze that trail, in parallel with W.R. Grace, the vermiculite (hissss!!!) people.

in those days, I'm surprised they didn't put asbestos in cheese and underwear. they put it in everything else.